Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restored laptop back to 2008... please help with updates

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 myselfvista

myselfvista

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

Hi, guys I am new here.

I have a laptop with windows Vista and I did not realize that windows vista is not supported anymore until now, when I restored the laptop back to 2008 as I thought the laptop would work better.

I am trying to download the last windows vista updates but I only get errors, 0xc8000247, code 80072EFE etc.

I cannot even install my antivirus

I am quite desperate guys.. I like my vista and would like to stay on this windows version.

I am pretty dumb for these things being honest, anyone can help?

Thank you, have a lovely day

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

you would probably need to install all the updates by manually downloading each of them....which would take forever

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

Manually install the below fix and see if it solves the problem. Note: is Vista at SP2? If not you need to get Vista to SP2 first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21393

If you are not at SP1  download and install SP1 then SP2

These are the 32bit versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468

These are the 64bit versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21299

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17669

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

...If you are not at SP1  download and install SP1 then SP2...

Hi myselfvista:

Further to John_C21's instructions to manually apply Service Pack 1 (rel. Feb 2008)  and Service Pack 2 (rel. May 2009), there is a known issue with Vista SP2 where Windows Updates will get stuck on the initial "Checking for updates..." phase as soon as Service Pack 2 (SP2) is applied.

A workaround is pinned at the top of the VistaForums Windows Update board at How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates.  Once you have applied SP1 (if missing) and SP2 you must manually install the Windows "speed up" patches mentioned in that thread [KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195 (rel. 11-Apr-2017); KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) plus KB4014661 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) if IE9 is installed].  Those "speed up" patches should fix Windows Updates so that you can apply the final ~ 220 or so security updates released for Vista SP2 between May 2009 and the end of extended support in April 2017.

Note that MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 and the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 now trigger those same Windows Update hangs on Vista SP2 computers and there are additional "speed up" patches mentioned in that VistaForums thread if you have any of these MS Office products installed on your computer.

Download links and step-by-step instructions for manually installing these "speed up" patches are posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  Be sure to post back if you run into any difficulties with the instruction in m#l's thread.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 27 June 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#5 myselfvista

myselfvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Manually install the below fix and see if it solves the problem. Note: is Vista at SP2? If not you need to get Vista to SP2 first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21393

I tried this one before already many times and now again and get the error 0xc8000247

If you are not at SP1  download and install SP1 then SP2

These are the 32bit versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468

My sistem uses 32bit and SP1 is installed. I tried many times now SP2 and get the error "E_UNEXPECTED 0x80000ffff"

These are the 64bit versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21299

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17669

Edited by myselfvista, 27 June 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

I would wait for a response from Imacri. I found numerous links to the 0x80000ffff issue but Microsoft has taken down the pages.

Instead of battling Vista and it's updates you may want to consider installing an alternate OS like linux if the computer is used for things like email, browsing the internet, or online purchases and have no need for mission critical Windows programs. The distro you install would depend on the CPU and RAM. You would definitely have less headaches updating and because malware for linux is virtually non-existent you would not need to worry about getting infected.

What is the make and model of the laptop and how much RAM do you have?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#7 myselfvista

myselfvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

...If you are not at SP1  download and install SP1 then SP2...

Hi myselfvista:

Further to John_C21's instructions to manually apply Service Pack 1 (rel. Feb 2008)  and Service Pack 2 (rel. May 2009), there is a known issue with Vista SP2 where Windows Updates will get stuck on the initial "Checking for updates..." phase as soon as Service Pack 2 (SP2) is applied.

A workaround is pinned at the top of the VistaForums Windows Update board at How to Fix Vista SP2 "Checking for Updates..." Hangs and Slow Windows Updates.  Once you have applied SP1 (if missing) and SP2 you must manually install the Windows "speed up" patches mentioned in that thread [KB3205638 (rel. 13-Dec-2016); KB4012583 (rel. 14-Mar-2017); KB4015195 (rel. 11-Apr-2017); KB4015380 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) plus KB4014661 (rel. 11-Apr-2017) if IE9 is installed].  Those "speed up" patches should fix Windows Updates so that you can apply the final ~ 220 or so security updates released for Vista SP2 between May 2009 and the end of extended support in April 2017.

Thank you I checked that out and I tried to install the updates and I only get errors. I am stuck in SP1 cant get to download the SP2, I have disabled every security thing in my laptop like firewall, antivirus etc, disabled automatic updates etc,  Well the antivirus even didn get to install it in the first place and gaves me errors too...

Note that MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 and the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 now trigger those same Windows Update hangs on Vista SP2 computers and there are additional "speed up" patches mentioned in that VistaForums thread if you have any of these MS Office products installed on your computer.

Download links and step-by-step instructions for manually installing these "speed up" patches are posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  Be sure to post back if you run into any difficulties with the instruction in m#l's thread.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Malwarebytes v3.5.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by myselfvista, 27 June 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#8 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

Hi myselfvista:

I agree with JohnC_21 - you're in for a huge amount of work to get your Vista machine working again after a factory rest and now might be a good time to consider installing an alternate OS like Linux or purchasing a new Win 10 machine.  Extended support for Vista SP2 ended on 11-Apr-2017 and Firefox ESR v52.x (the last major browser still fully supported for Vista SP2) has almost reached it's end-of-life as well.

I'm not sure it's necessary for you to manually install the KB955430 hotfix (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21393) that JohC_21 recommended.  The support article Description of the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Installation Software Feature Update Released April 28, 2009 notes that KB937287 is a prerequisite for KB955430 so if you have Vista (i.e., without any service packs) that could be the cause of the error message, but that support article also states that "This update is not necessary to successfully install the service pack if you install the full file version of the service pack".  If you're manually installing the full Service Pack 2 (i.e., instead of via an automatic Windows Update like most Vista SP1 users did back in 2009) I don't think KB955430 is required.  Most Vista users I know who have performed a factory reset were able to download and manually apply SP1 (a prerequisite for SP2), re-boot, and then apply SP2 without a problem.  It's even possible that Windows Update will run normally after SP1 is installed and automatically apply KB955430 - the "Checking for updates..." hangs I mentioned in post # 4 shouldn't start until after SP2 is applied.

Unfortunately, these "Checking for updates..." hangs first appeared on Vista SP2 computers back in August 2015 and have gotten progressively worse over time, and almost every Vista user I know who has recently experienced performance problems (e.g., unexplained high CPU consumption, browser crashes, failed updates for third-party software, etc.) found these issues disappeared once Windows Update was fixed.  Once you reset your computer to factory condition you introduce a whole new set of problems that also have to be fixed - for example, finding the latest Vista-compatible drivers for hardware like your graphics card, network card, etc., uninstalling unwanted third-party software (e.g., a decade-old trial version of McAfee or some other antivirus installed at the factory that now conflicts with your firewall and current AV), etc.  Some of that cleanup might have to be done first before you even consider patching your Vista OS back to April 2017 and restoring your personal documents and user files from your external backup.

What is the make and model of your computer, and if you go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System does it show if Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 is already installed?

Attached File  Vista System Information Service Pack.png   21.8KB   0 downloads

If possible, it would also be helpful if you could run a quick diagnostic of your system using Piriform's free Speccy utility and then post the results so we can see a snapshot of your current system. After Speccy has collected information about your system go to File | Publish Snapshot and then copy and paste the URL this generates (e.g., http: // speccy.piriform.com/results/xxx... ) in your next reply.  If you can't download and install Speccy on your hard drive you can also save the portable version of Speccy from their builds page at https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/builds onto a USB thumb drive (you can do this from another computer if necessary) and unzip and run the 32-bit Speccy.exe executable from the thumb drive.

Attached File  Speccy Snapshot Copy to Clipboard.png   5.8KB   0 downloads

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Speccy Portable v1.32.740

Edited by lmacri, 27 June 2018 - 03:41 PM.

#9 myselfvista

myselfvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

I am sorry the laptop is German as well

Attached Files

#10 myselfvista

myselfvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

I would wait for a response from Imacri. I found numerous links to the 0x80000ffff issue but Microsoft has taken down the pages.

Instead of battling Vista and it's updates you may want to consider installing an alternate OS like linux if the computer is used for things like email, browsing the internet, or online purchases and have no need for mission critical Windows programs. The distro you install would depend on the CPU and RAM. You would definitely have less headaches updating and because malware for linux is virtually non-existent you would not need to worry about getting infected.

What is the make and model of the laptop and how much RAM do you have?

I guess... I just got used to Vista and i really liked it... (I used xp before and for a little while linux with other laptops)  I normally use the computer for surfing, shopping online, sync with Iphone, social media, news, download things... I have a busy life, time flies I guess the laptop, vista and me are getting too old... lol

I am not very sure about the compatibility of linux and iphone sync...and I use it lots...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

I'm not sure about linux and syncing Iphone. That would be a problem as seen on this page. 

https://beebom.com/how-use-iphone-with-linux/

You may want to consider budgeting for a new computer with Windows 10.

Would it be possible to upload your iphone files to the cloud then download them onto the PC? I know it's a kludge but that may work. I don't have much experience with syncing iphones.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 07:55 PM.

#12 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

myselfvista:

Well, you CAN install Vista from scratch.  I did it about a month ago, when I decided to upgrade my Vista Home Premium to Ultimate.   FWIW, it took me about a week, so I won't say it was absolutely painless, but ...

So you've got SP1 installed.  Do this:  Go to this site (the Microsoft Update Catalog)  and download SP2 for Vista X86.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=vista%20support%20pack%202

Right click, install as administrator, reboot.  Look to what else you have on your system or might need.   This is what I got from my initial installation and support packs, or dug up from the internet:

Vista SP1
        Vista SP2
        Dot NET 3.5.1
        Dot NET 4.5
        DirectX 11 (June 2010) and update
        Internet Explorer 9
        PowerShell 2
        Visual C++ x86 & x64  2008
        Visual C++ x64 & x86  2010
        Visual C++ x64 & x86  2012
        Visual C++ x64 & x86  2015
        Windows Media Center  
        Windows Media Player

Note that's all Microsoft stuff. There was also about 50 utilities and hardware drivers to install.  This was a homebrew desktop system, so I won't bother to recite the list; it'd be mostly useless to you.   Also I did a bit of system tweaking -- assigning partition drive letters, changing font sizes, getting speakers to produce sound, getting two monitors to cooperate, and all that fun stuff.    Anyhow, I got this far in about one day and keyed in the 25-character Activation Code, then clicked on the Send Request tab,  Which got approved in about two seconds, instead of the half hour process of repeating letters and numbers I'd become accustomed to in Vista Home Premium setups.  I damn near fainted from surprise.  Instead I went to bed.

I spent about twelve hours the next day doing just about nothing because MS wouldn't give me any updates.  Does this sound familiar?   I got so bored and so antsy I started reading sections of the Bleeping Computers Vista Forum and other obscure websites, looking for hints or at least distractions, and finally came across Imacri's helpful suggestions.  Which I had actually seen before, I hate to admit, and hadn't paid attention to because I wasn't in immediate need of such handholding.  NOW, with a new setup I did need that help and I finally noticed it.  

So.  Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog again, look for Vista System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) and download it.  Update programs (those xxxxx.msu files) won't run in Vista SP2 while Windows Update is running.  Turn off updates on your system, change settings to "never look for updates"  and reboot and THEN run  SURT.    Then run those Speed UP patches, then reboot.  Switch settings to allow updates,  It took just a couple minutes for updates to start appearing for my system -- about 280 of them.

After that things were straightforward.  On the third day. I started reinstalling the applications I'd had before, installed some more utilities and hardware drivers, fiddled around with antispyware and malware apps, etc.   The details are unexciting.  This will bring your system (mine anyhow) up to the mid April 2017 condition, where Microsoft stopped Vista support and cruelly cast us faithful users all aside.   Never Forget, Never Forgive!   Never Surrender!

Oh well.  You can call it quits here.   Aside from occasional utility updates, there's not much more to do.  Depending on your enthusiasm for such tasks, you might consider updating Vista with patches for Win Server 2009 SP2.   There are arguments for and against this, which I'll not bother to recite -- I'm kind of up in the air about this myself.  There are sub-Forum threads for that topic here and at the MSFN Vista site, which you probably ought to leaf through to get some handle on what's involved -- it's a manageable task.

Good luck!  Enjoy!

#13 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

I am sorry the laptop is German as well

Hi myselfvista:

Your System Information shows that you already have Service Pack 1 installed (version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001) so you do not need to download and install Service Pack 1 (KB936330).

JohnC_21's link to the 32-bit Service Pack 2 for Vista (KB948465) at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16468 is for the Five Languages installer.  If you select German you will be taken to Microsoft's German language website.  Download the Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe self-extracting installer, save the file to your Windows desktop, close your browser, and then double-click the .exe file on your desktop to install (mike_shupp's hint to right-click the .exe installer and Run as Administrator might also help).  Let us know if you see another error 0x80000ffff message and I'll see if I can more information about this particular error.  You need to install SP2 first before you can move on to the next step and install the four 32-bit .msu standalone installers (i.e., "speed up" patches) to fix Windows Update and patch your system to April 2017.

Attached File  Vista SP2 KB948465 Five Languages German.png   18.74KB   0 downloads

We need to know the exact make and model of your computer since that should help us find the latest hardware drivers and software on the manufacturer's support page.  If you can provide the Speccy diagnostic I requested that will give us detailed information about your system hardware and software, including your current driver versions.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * * Speccy Portable v1.32.740

Edited by lmacri, 27 June 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#14 myselfvista

myselfvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:44 AM

Hi myselfvista:

I agree with JohnC_21 - you're in for a huge amount of work to get your Vista machine working again after a factory rest and now might be a good time to consider installing an alternate OS like Linux or purchasing a new Win 10 machine.  Extended support for Vista SP2 ended on 11-Apr-2017 and Firefox ESR v52.x (the last major browser still fully supported for Vista SP2) has almost reached it's end-of-life as well.

I'm not sure it's necessary for you to manually install the KB955430 hotfix (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21393) that JohC_21 recommended.  The support article Description of the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Installation Software Feature Update Released April 28, 2009 notes that KB937287 is a prerequisite for KB955430 so if you have Vista (i.e., without any service packs) that could be the cause of the error message, but that support article also states that "This update is not necessary to successfully install the service pack if you install the full file version of the service pack".  If you're manually installing the full Service Pack 2 (i.e., instead of via an automatic Windows Update like most Vista SP1 users did back in 2009) I don't think KB955430 is required.  Most Vista users I know who have performed a factory reset were able to download and manually apply SP1 (a prerequisite for SP2), re-boot, and then apply SP2 without a problem.  It's even possible that Windows Update will run normally after SP1 is installed and automatically apply KB955430 - the "Checking for updates..." hangs I mentioned in post # 4 shouldn't start until after SP2 is applied.

Unfortunately, these "Checking for updates..." hangs first appeared on Vista SP2 computers back in August 2015 and have gotten progressively worse over time, and almost every Vista user I know who has recently experienced performance problems (e.g., unexplained high CPU consumption, browser crashes, failed updates for third-party software, etc.) found these issues disappeared once Windows Update was fixed.  Once you reset your computer to factory condition you introduce a whole new set of problems that also have to be fixed - for example, finding the latest Vista-compatible drivers for hardware like your graphics card, network card, etc., uninstalling unwanted third-party software (e.g., a decade-old trial version of McAfee or some other antivirus installed at the factory that now conflicts with your firewall and current AV), etc.  Some of that cleanup might have to be done first before you even consider patching your Vista OS back to April 2017 and restoring your personal documents and user files from your external backup.

What is the make and model of your computer, and if you go to Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System does it show if Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 is already installed?

attachicon.gifVista System Information Service Pack.png

If possible, it would also be helpful if you could run a quick diagnostic of your system using Piriform's free Speccy utility and then post the results so we can see a snapshot of your current system. After Speccy has collected information about your system go to File | Publish Snapshot and then copy and paste the URL this generates (e.g., http: // speccy.piriform.com/results/xxx... ) in your next reply.  If you can't download and install Speccy on your hard drive you can also save the portable version of Speccy from their builds page at https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/builds onto a USB thumb drive (you can do this from another computer if necessary) and unzip and run the 32-bit Speccy.exe executable from the thumb drive.

attachicon.gifSpeccy Snapshot Copy to Clipboard.png

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * Speccy Portable v1.32.740

I have done that.

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g2cc595a7a528cffc100009361749f9e97756ec9371

#15 myselfvista

myselfvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:46 AM

I'm not sure about linux and syncing Iphone. That would be a problem as seen on this page. 

https://beebom.com/how-use-iphone-with-linux/

You may want to consider budgeting for a new computer with Windows 10.

Would it be possible to upload your iphone files to the cloud then download them onto the PC? I know it's a kludge but that may work. I don't have much experience with syncing iphones.

Wont this old laptop work on other Windows systems like Windows 7 or is it too old?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users