Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan showing Decompression Bomb?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abbeyslinger

abbeyslinger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:35 AM

Today my avast scan detect there is a Decompression Bomb file on my laptop but unable to find or delete a file. Need your valued suggestions to get rid of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidmichaels

davidmichaels

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

Hey,

I also found an error similar to this while scanning out my desktop and I don't know how to resolve it.  :mellow:

Is it happening to universally or only with few ? 

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Hi all!

FWIW: Here is an article which explains what a Decompression Bomb (Zip-bomb) is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_bomb

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

Well, I would suspect a bug in Avast.   It is logically impossible to detect something and, simultaneously, say it isn't there.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

Can you post the exact message here? Or a screenshot of the dialog box?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 anajames

anajames

• Banned Spammer
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

Well, if you would share the screenshot that would make it a bit easier to help you with. By the time you can have a look at this blog: https://www.onlineprivacytips.co/security/decompression-bomb-weapon-hackers-nightmare-users/ 

This mentions the reasons and a way out for you as to why you are having the issue. 

#7 Wilsondrake

Wilsondrake

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

Today my avast scan detect there is a Decompression Bomb file on my laptop but unable to find or delete a file. Need your valued suggestions to get rid of it.

I was going through the same error of decompression bomb and the day I saw it, it was a nightmare for me considering it some form of a hack on my system. 

But after doing some research over what is decompression bomb  I felt a bit relaxed knowing that it is not a hack on my system. I ran into some guides providing solutions to get rid of decompression bomb. I found there are multiple ways that could help any one:

• Re-Image repair tool
  • JavaRa
  • Temp file cleaner by old timer

Edited by Wilsondrake, 29 June 2018 - 01:01 AM.

#8 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

Be careful when using Re-Image. For me it is malware/crapware/scareware in disguise.

Also JavaRa (used to thoroughly remove Java), has not been updated in a long time and it doesn't work for newer Java installations.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 29 June 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

I say again, and we have had no follow-up regarding this, it is a logical impossibility to say that something is detected yet does not exist.  If it exists, and was detected, it should have been quarantined.   If it does not exist, but a detection was triggered, something else is wrong.

This should be pursued with the folks at Avast!, and, I'd hope, a follow-up post made here regarding the outcome.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:52 PM

Avast is noted for making false detections of this kind, I have personally seen it do so a few times especially for .zip files which contain .bmp (bitmap images, an old windows image format) or .png (image format, fairly uncompressed) files. I'm surprised that avast isn't clearly telling you which file it is making a detection in, have you tried to enable any of the features which make avast log the results of it's scans to text files?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users