Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean load of Win7 and cannot locate drivers for network

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SRC45

SRC45

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

Hello all,

I joined this fine forum to post questions and learn about Ubuntu/Linux. However, I find that I now need some critical help with a Windows 7 issue.

I am running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit on a Dell desktop (purchased used more than a year ago). It had become slow and unstable, so I decided to go with a clean and fresh load. My tower did not come with any sort of discs, but it does have the product key, so I picked up an install DVD from the computer shop where I bought the tower. 

Today I did the install and now in "device manager" it shows that the ethernet controller and network controller are not operating (yellow exclamation points beside them). I need this machine to be hardwired into my router/network as the speed is so much better than wifi, so I installed a usb wireless adapter that allowed me to connect to my home wifi network, in order to try to update drivers for these devices.

Here's my issue. Even with internet access, when I try to update the drivers, Windows cannot find driver software for my devices. 

These devices worked just fine before the fresh load of Windows 7. 

Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated and if I need to provide additional details, please let me know what and how.

Thanks

SRC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but does that mean you've not gone to Dell to get the drivers?

I'm in Australia, so it chooses the Australian version for me:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/aubsd1?app=drivers

For US, it should only need to be:

www.dell.com/drivers
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

What is the service tag number? It should be on the bottom or side of the computer.

Go here and imput the service tag number. This will give you the support page with driver downloads. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

What I don't understand is if you have yellow exclamation marks next to your Ethernet and Wifi how is it you are connected to the internet? Are you using a USB dongle?

#4 SRC45

SRC45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the input.

My wifi is working via a Netgear USB dongle, and that is how I am able to access the internet.. I need to get the network card in the machine working so that I can connect it directly to my router with a network cable.

I input the service tag # at the link provided and downloaded a chipset driver and an ethernet controller driver, but neither were successful in solving my issue.

What is my next step?

Thank you.

SRC

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

Right click each device with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line from each device into your next post. Also it would help if you also posted your Service Tag #.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 June 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

I would go back to that website John provided and press Detect PC instead of inputting your service tag#.

See if Dell does identify your PC.

Why? Because I'm wondering if Dell will recognize your PC since the possibility different install media probably w/o the original product key being used.

--- Whether or not it makes a difference, I don’t know, but this is the time to find out.

Moving on, go to

Dell SupportAssist for PCs and tablets

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/4/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist

It will load PC’s optimization tools and will have the following items

Get Drivers & Downloads

Scan Hardware

Clean Files

Tune Performance

Optimize Network

NOTE: Some Dell PC’s are having issues with the Dell SupportAssist Not Responding.

--- If that happens on your computer, there is a fix for it.

FWIW, I just repaired my brothers Dell computer today doing the above.

I also use the above on my used Dell computer to keep it well maintained.

Edited by cmptrgy, 26 June 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#7 SRC45

SRC45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

Right click each device with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line from each device into your next post. Also it would help if you also posted your Service Tag #.

Here is the info for the ethernet controller

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1691&SUBSYS_043B1028&REV_01
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1691&SUBSYS_043B1028
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1691&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1691&CC_0200

And for the network controller

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&SUBSYS_837E1043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&SUBSYS_837E1043
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0301&CC_0280

Hopefully I did that correctly.

The service tag # is 7PK8TR1

I also visited the dell links above and tried to allow it to "detect PC", but it failed to provide any downloads for the drivers.

SRC

Edited by SRC45, 27 June 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

For the Ethernet was this the Dell file you downloaded?

Win7 X64: http://ftp.dell.com/network/R243167.exe

Edit: The other device is your Wifi and is a Ralink chipset. I will edit my post if I find the driver for Windows 7 64bit.

Edit Edit: There certainly isn't many driver downloads on Dell's support site using the service tag

I think your Wifi is a PCI card. Pull the side of the case and see if you can find a model number and manufacturer on it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 01:27 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

I think I have found the correct Wifi driver. It has your vendor and device ID in the inf file. I have zipped it up. Unzip the file to your desktop. Right click the device in Device Manager and select Update Driver > Have Disk. Point it to the inf file in the unzipped folder. I hope this works for you.

Here is a VirusTotal link to the zipped file. You can verify it by uploading the file before you unzip it.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file-analysis/ZjU2M2VkZmEwZjAwMWI5ZmFlNzkyYWQ3N2RiNGVkZTc6MTUzMDEyNDQ4OA==

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#10 SRC45

SRC45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

JohnC_21,

Thank you sir, those files fixed my issues.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

I'm not sure how to close this topic, so an admin or whomever can feel free.

Thanks again. GREAT FORUM!!

SRC

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

From all the people at BC, you are welcome. BC does not normally close threads. Thanks for the update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#12 SRC45

SRC45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

From all the people at BC, you are welcome. BC does not normally close threads. Thanks for the update.

Again, thank you sir.

Since BC doesn't normally close threads, I'll post a follow up question here. If I need to start a new topic, I will, just please let me know.

Since I now have my system back running properly, to avoid such issues in the future should a clean load become necessary, should I/can I create an .ISO of my system and burn it to a DVD for future restores? Also, if I DO create an .ISO, can I save it to attached storage on my home network?

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help.

SRC

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

I would recommend one of the following programs that will let you create a complete disk image to a USB external hard drive. All will let you create a bootable CD or USB flash drive recovery media. If the computer would no longer boot because of a failed drive you could install a clean new drive, boot the rescue CD or USB flash drive and recover the image from the USB external drive with all your programs and settings intact. No partitioning or formatting required.  Multiple disk images can be put on the one USB external drive. The frequency of backups depending on programs installed and updates. They all allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive so any file in the image can be copied to your internal hard drive. 

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei and Easeus also allow for folder/file backups to an image file.  Easeus being the most intuitive. 

These programs are also good if you should get infected with Malware or Ransomware. Boot the rescue media and recover your last clean disk image. Programs like this have saved my bacon a number of times. 

Edit: the disk images could also be stored on your attached network storage but I am not sure if the programs would see this network you would need to boot the rescue disk and see. I know Macrium Reflect will add drivers it detects on your computer including USB 3 which will increase speed of the recovery.

Edit Edit. I did find this on Aomei's page.

https://www.backup-utility.com/articles/backup-to-network-drive.html

https://www.backup-utility.com/articles/restore-windows-image-backup-over-network-3889.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for letting us know the computer is fine now. Kudos to John, that's for sure.

To keep your computer well maintained you could bookmark 

Support for Inspiron 570 diagnostics

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-570/diagnose

and 

Dell SupportAssist for PCs and tablets

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/4/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist

--- This the one I use to keep my Dell 580 that I upgraded to Windows 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users