Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Free Up More Hard Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tumbo

Tumbo

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hello:

I have an ASUS T-100 tablet running Windows 8.1.

I don’t use the tablet much, only when traveling on flights to watch movies, or on the trip to do basic tasks on the internet.

I don’t store any files on the machine (photos, videos, etc.) and have limited programs.

The tablet runs fine, except I am getting warnings that it is running out of hard disk space.

The hard disk is small at about 20.8 GB, with only about 622 MB free.

It also has a 64GB MicroSD card, which I usually use for storing trip movies, photos, etc.

After going through the machine several times I’m not sure where or how I can best free up more hard-drive space.

Thanks for your help in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

Install CCleaner and remove the temp files. Don't bother with the registry cleaner.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

WinDirStat can show you graphically what items are using space on the hard drive. If you have System Restore enabled consider reducing the size allotted.

https://www.winhelp.us/configure-system-restore-in-windows.html

Windows 8.1 may have hibernation enabled. Disable Fast Startup in Windows 8.1. Fast startup uses a hibernation file that can be GBs in size. After disabling open an elevated command prompt Windows key + X > Command prompt as Admin  and type the following commands. 

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Edit: Fixed powercfg command.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 June 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#3 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

I ran CCleaner and removed the temp files.

I checked System Restore, it is enabled - but I already have it set down to 1% (300MB).

I disabled Fast Startup and ran the commands you provided.

After reboot hard drive at 2.34GB free....

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

I think that may be the best you can get. You can run System Cleanup and attempt to get a little more.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideToFreeingUpDiskSpaceUnderWindows81.aspx

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Did you install/run Windirstat

As per John's suggestion, it will show you graphically what items are using space on the hard drive.

It is a small download...approx 631 kb.....well worth a look.

Edited by Condobloke, 26 June 2018 - 07:29 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

I was able to run System Cleanup to get a little more (run as Administrator which listed another 975MB of old Windows Update files, which I deleted).

Oddly, currently at 2.28 GB free after the System Cleanup, which is less than before where I was at 2.34 GB free.

While I have you here, is it possible to run System Cleanup as Administrator on a Windows 7 machine in order to cleanup the old Windows Update files?

#7 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

Did you install/run Windirstat

As per John's suggestion, it will show you graphically what items are using space on the hard drive.

It is a small download...approx 631 kb.....well worth a look.

Hi Condobloke:  I did just install/run Windirstat.  Not sure how to proceed from here to decide what can stay or go?

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

Best person to answer that is JohnC21......I steered away from windows some time ago and now run Linux

I would imagine that would be quite possible......HERE    

Edited by Condobloke, 26 June 2018 - 08:09 PM.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

Post a pic/screenshot if possible for John to review for you.

#10 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:19 PM

Best person to answer that is JohnC21......I steered away from windows some time ago and now run Linux

I would imagine that would be quite possible......HERE    

I did follow your link to the Dummies article, and when I went the route of: choose All Programs→Accessories→System Tools→Disk Cleanup I was able to run as Administrator in Windows 7 and then delete all Windows Update files.

#11 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

Post a pic/screenshot if possible for John to review for you.

Windirstat screenshot is attached.

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

WinDirStat only shows you what files are taking what space. This can give you an idea of what can be deleted. 

As you found out you can also use System Cleanup on Windows 7. System Cleanup cleans up your WinSxS folder which can be huge but I have found it doesn't reduce it all that much. You can see your WinSxS size by right clicking the folder at C:\Windows\WinSxS and selecting properties.

If you have a lot of RAM you could reduce the size of your Pagefile and set it manually. That is in the link I posted in post #4. The link also shows WinDirStat.

In the search box type Run. In the run box type %temp%

You can delete any files in the Temp Directory. If there is more than one user on the computer login to each user and run the command.

Edit: I saw a mp4 file and a Pdf file that you can look at. Those are in the hundreds of MBs. Also a PNG file. You will have to determine if they are something you want to delete.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 June 2018 - 08:42 PM.

#13 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

I went ahead and deleted the temp files.

Regarding the .mp4 and .pdf files, is there an easy way to see their path from WinDirStat, or to track them down other than searching the whole machine via windows?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

On smaller items it's best to use Everything. Download the portable version and unzip to a folder on your desktop. Right click > Run as Administrator.

In the search box type

*.mp4  

Also do the same for your pdf and png extensions. Once found you can right click and select open path.

You can also do *.txt.  Look through all the text files and see if you need them otherwise you can delete those too.

#15 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

Another idea that is crossing my mind is to install w10 and use the compact /compactos:always and compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress8k "c:\Program Files"\* on it. Depending on file compressability you may reclaim up to 10GB of space, with little loss of speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users