Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable hard drive suddenly became System Reserved

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tango444

Tango444

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Hi,

I've had a Toshiba external drive that I've been using for years, and I've had it for a while on my new gaming Pc.

2 days ago, all of a sudden, it stopped being visible to my Pc. I have not changed or done anything either with my PC or with the  hard drive.

After checking Diskmgmt.msc, I saw that it was only tagged under "System Reserved". All the data is still on it and it works fine (the lights and noise coming out of it are the same) but I cannot access it at all.

I'm not the most tech savvy guy when it comes to more complicated PC operations, but is there a way for me to unlock it and keep using it as a large Usb key like before ?

I've read all the other System Reserved posts/solutions, but none seem to work regarding a more simple Toshiba Canvio Hard drive.

Thank you,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

The System Reserved Partition shown in your Disk Management image is normal and is not your Toshiba drive. It is a partition required to boot your Windows C: partition on Disk 0. That is shown by the fact the System Reserved partition is listed as Active.

From what I can tell your Toshiba is not detected in disk management. I see a Mybook and 2 Seagate drives (Disks 2 and 3) but no Toshiba.

How big is the Toshiba drive? Open a command prompt with the Toshiba drive attached and type

diskpart

list disk

Is the Toshiba listed. 

#3 Tango444

Tango444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

Ahh I see, I thought the 500 Gb was my toshiba, Didn't think of my Ssd Drive.

Tried your command, it is not there. So I guess that while it does seemed like its working, it is fully dead since it cannot be detected at all.

Ah well, RIP little toshiba drive, you're in Hard drive heaven now.

Thank you for having a look at it for me !!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

For the older Toshiba portables I believe the USB bridge card was separate. You could pull the drive out of the enclosure and use a USB adapter to determine if the drive is really dead. If you have internal space available on a computer you could also install it on a SATA port.

Edit: Swapping out the USB cable may help but I doubt it as the drive lights up when you attach it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 June 2018 - 03:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users