Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get System Restore to Run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Last night I downloaded a new version of the Pale Moon browser from my Administrator account. After running the install, it seemed that everything worked fine and when I clicked "About Pale Moon", it showed that I had the latest version.

After trying to use the computer this morning, I clicked the Pale Moon icon and got the message that the program had been moved or changed and the shortcut was not valid. Strange.....  I attempted to start the program from the Start Menu, but I got the same message.

I opened Control Panel and Programs and Features and found the Pale Moon program. I decided to uninstall it and start over. I right-clicked the program and clicked Uninstall. Nothing happened. The program did not uninstall. I tried it several more times but got the same results.

Then I decided to do a System Restore from a restore point a few days ago. I ran the restore program, but after the computer restarted I got the following error window:

I turned off Malwarebytes and Emsisoft and tried again, but got the same results after the Restore program ran. I tried an earlier restore point but it didn't work either. I looked at the Advance Restore option but was concerned that I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't want to make things worse. If anyone has a suggestion as to where I can go from here I would appreciate it.

Attached Files

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 26 June 2018 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Okay...false alarm. I apparently didn't get Malwarebytes turned off properly. I tried that again and this time the restore worked properly.

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 26 June 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

Firefox works just fine in Windows 7. Using a Firefox derivative....especially Pale Moon which is based on an outdated version of Firefox.....is an

unnecessary risk. 

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I will probably switch back to Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users