Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows does not boot properly after deletion of ubuntu partition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MobiZaman

MobiZaman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

I had a dual boot system on my dell laptop running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04. I deleted the ubuntu partition and well, it has obviously caused some problems. Now when my laptop turns on, it soon shows a screen saying:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine.

Now I have found an interim fix to the problem. I reboot the machine and press F12 which takes me to the Boot Options. 

Under UEFI Boot, it gives me 3 options:

1. HDD1-Ubuntu ------ Choosing this option opens a grub terminal

2. HDD2-Windows Boot Manager ------- Choosing this successfully boots windows 10

3. HDD3-ubuntu ------- Choosing this option also opens a grub terminal

(P.S. I don't know why it's showing 2 ubuntu partitions, I had only a single partition for ubuntu.)

Now I know I messed up by deleting the partition so I hope someone can help me tie up the lose ends such that I can successfully remove ubuntu and set windows on automatic boot in the system.

What do I do to solve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

The best thing would be to perform a new clean install and remove all the partitions if you do not need any files. If you do then we need to get the files backup first. Let me know how you want to proceed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users