Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 pssnap.sys BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Timescope

Timescope

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hello everyone,

I am kindly asking for help to solve a BSOD on my Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook model S7210.

The operating system is Windows 7 Professional OEM  and I have been using it since 2010.

The HDD that I have the problem with is 500GB. I also have the 320GB HDD that I cloned to the 500GB drive in 2016 and it works perfectly, ruling out hardware problems.

Last Monday, I updated Windows and got a BSOD on restart. caused by pssnap.sys :

PAGE_FAULT_IN _NON_PAGED_AREA.

Attached File  BSOD 25.06.18.jpg   105.15KB   0 downloads

So far, I have made 16 attempts to repair the operating system using the Windows repair facility on the installation disk, have tried to repair the boot sector using bootrec and bcdedit, have run numerous chkdsk /f /r and have used the fix that Macrium provided "removesnap.exe" to no avail.

I ran removesnap.exe using the cmd prompt and got a message that:

MACRIUM\ControlSet001\Control\Class {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} pssnap successfully removed as an upper filter

Success

Attached File  Recovery cmd.jpg   72.74KB   0 downloads

It did not work so I disabled Windows Update and downloaded Macrium onto the 320GB drive and created the WinPE recovery tool on a usb drive.

I ran removesnap using the WinPE environment: a cmd window flashed briefly but did not solve the problem  I also used the boot repair function in the WinPE.

I could not get the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.exe requested in the posting instructions to run: Using cmd, I got a "side by side" error and  WinPE  said "Cannot open file. No associated program found".

Attached File  Recovery cmd.jpg   72.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Copy of No program found.png   851.37KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Copy of Sysnative cmd error.jpg   67.17KB   0 downloads

System restore says there are no restore points, Safe Mode also gives a BSOD, Last Known Good Configuration also does not work and I tried to run sfc /scannow but got a message that "there is a pending repair that requires a reboot..."

I have attached images of the various error screens and an image of the System Reserved partition.

Attached File  Copy of Reserved partition.png   810.15KB   0 downloads

Kindly excuse the poor quality of the images

Thanks in advance for your help.

Timescope

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2018 - 12:02 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

That's a Macrium Reflect file.  I would uninstall MR and then reinstall the most current free version.

Louis

#3 Timescope

Timescope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hi Hamluis,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I did not make it clear that the operating system does not load and gives the BSOD right after the "Starting Windows" splash screen so I can not get to the desktop.

Is there a way to uninstall Macrium using cmd or the recovery environment?

Thanks,

Timescope

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

Using your WinPE disk rename the following files. See if you can then run sfc

C:\Windows\WinSxS\cleanup.xml

C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml.

You can pull the drive, connect it to another computer and use AutoRuns on the offline drive to check for any Macrium Free startup process and pssnap.sys. Uncheck anything found. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson6/

#5 Timescope

Timescope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

Thanks JohnC_21, I will give it a try.

Timescope

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

I still like this idea of simply renaming the offending file so it will not load but can't test it since I don't have the problem with my Macrium:

Of course you would have to be in a Command Prompt window or some kind of navigator/explorer to do that either from the Windows DVD/USB or maybe from the MacriumPE or a Hirens Boot CD.

Edited by joseibarra, 26 June 2018 - 07:57 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 aswiseman

aswiseman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. (I've reported it here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/679850/bsod-pssnapsys-page-fault-in-nonpaged-area-macrium-reflect/)

The Macrium fix didn't work for me either.

I did try the suggestion of renaming pssnap.sys to pssnap.old. What happens then is when you reboot you still get the BSOD, but this time without the "pssnap.sys / PAGE_FAULT_IN _NON_PAGED_AREA" text.

I also tried running Autoruns as an Administrator to analyze the offline drive. I found the handful of entries associated with Macrium, Reflect and Paramount and unticked them all. But again, all it did was remove the "pssnap.sys" details from the BSOD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users