Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

Howdy,

Every time I check my e-mail and then close Outlook Express, a window pops up that says:

" To free disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take up to a few minutes."

Two questions please.

1) What does that mean ?

2) How can I stop this window from constantly poping up if I do not want to compress my messages ?

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by jgweed, 10 October 2006 - 08:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

OE does not actually get rid of stored messages you delete, and these continue to take up disk space, and can slow down OE's accessing the .dbx files where your E-mails are stored. While deleted messages are flagged to be deleted, this does not actually happen until you compact the folders. Compacting is very much like emptying your recycle bin. Compacting is a Good Thing because it frees up disk space, improves application performance, and most likely also helps prevent file corruption!
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 October 2006 - 08:50 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the reply igweed.

I just compated the e-mail account.

Thanks for the help,

Dennis :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

Depending on the amount of E-mails you receive, you may want to add compacting to your monthly list of computer maintenance "todos."
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users