Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10. Chrome seems to crash very frequently.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elfmagic

elfmagic

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

I don't know if crash is the right word for it. I got a message a couple of days ago on my PC that Lenovo had installed some updates to my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Since then Chrome has just suddently stopped and I end up back on the desktop. Are there some utilities that I can run to rule out malware?
Right now the problem seems to happen when there is video playing in the background. (Youtube). 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

You can download autoruns and check to see if any bad processes are running. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns or Process Explorer and make sure to go to the options tab and select  "verify image signatures" and check under Virus total.com "check virustotal.com"  any bad processes will show up in the Virustotal column as Red. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Edited by Mason21, 24 June 2018 - 09:39 PM.

#3 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:54 PM

If you suspect malware you are best off posting to the Malware Support forum. If you want to run a few scans then perform the following steps.

Download MiniToolBox by Farbar and save it to your desktop.
Run as Administrator to start the tool
  • Select to Run All options
  • Click Go and wait patiently
  • Upon completion (a reboot may be needed) a file called Result.txt will be saved on your desktop.
  • Upload or Paste the Results.txt to your next reply
Rkill
  • Download Rkill from the below link.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/I
  • Double click on Rkill program to stop the malicious programs from running
  • RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while it looks for malicious process and tries to end them
  • When the Rkill tool has completed its task, it will generate a log
  • Do Not Reboot your computer or the malware programs will start again
  • Upload or Paste your Log file to next reply
Adware Cleaner
Download Adware Cleaner to your desktop.
Important! close all open programs and internet browsers
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Right-click on program and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the scan button
  • When the scan is ready click on the Clean button
  • Upload or Paste the log in your next reply.
Junkware Removal Tool
  • Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts. See Here how to disable you security protection (Anti Virus)
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/
  • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has Started
  • Click on the Settings button
  • Click on Protection tab
  • Enable the Scan for rootkits
  • select Scan now. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
  • When the scan is complete , make sure that that all Threats are selected, and click Remove Selected.
  • Reboot your computer if prompted.
  • After the restart, Open Malwarebytes
  • Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
  • Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click 'Export'.
  • Click 'Text file (*.txt)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users