Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from grub option 1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

I am using a dual boot config of WIN 10 and Ubuntu 14.04(LXLE distribution).I have untilized the same setup for 3+ yrs. I have grub setup with Ubuntu as the top selection. Today when I tried to boot up the screen went black as usual but reloaded the lenovo splash and then back to grub. It does this with a key punch or allowing the time to run out.

Finally I keyed down to Advance Ubuntu options and chose. Ubuntu with Linux 3.13.0-153-generic and *********0-151-generic (top two options) both yielded the same results as above. However, when I moved to the **********0-149-generic option (3rd) it booted right up as normal.

Since it booted I took that time to run boot repair to no avail. I can't seem to track down the problem. My info from boot repair is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/4xcD5vMZpq/

The machine is up to date. I have not added any new software or made any hardware changes. I just can't boot as I always have. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Have you Tried simply updating grub from either a Live OS or from a Distro already installed?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input. That is essentially what Boot Repair is. It is an automated tool that repairs or updates Grub. I also updated grub manually in a terminal after using boot repair. 

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

I know exactly what it is. I'm saying I've had that same issue before and have fixed it by reinstalling grub from a live distro

Try booting from a live distro and doing this:

Spoiler

Have you done any updates recently that may have broken the install? More Specifically any Kernel updates?

Edited by Viper_Security, 24 June 2018 - 03:30 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#5 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

As I mentioned......The machine is up to date. I have not added any new software or made any hardware changes. I can still login using the Advance options. 

I didn't mention that I logged in on the recovery mode of the ...............0-149-generic option and tried to repair packages. I'll dig up my live usb and try your suggestion.

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Spoiler

Okay, Let us Know :)

hQBT2G3.png

#7 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:22 PM

I decided to drop the kernel packages that would not boot using synaptics. After doing so my system will now default to the kernel that loads. Out of curiousity I ran the Gnome updater in my menu ( how I always update). It returned that the system is up to date. No updates offered. I'm not sure how I ended up with these. I guess I should not let others use my machine.

Edited by RamblingBarba, 24 June 2018 - 06:25 PM.

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:28 PM

Oh Okay, So all is well then? :)

And Not letting others use your machine may be best.

hQBT2G3.png

#9 RamblingBarba

RamblingBarba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

I have had no trouble selecting the "earlier" kernel from the advanced options. I used that for 3 days now/ I decided to drop those problematic ones and see what happens. I just don't know how those things got loaded in the first place. Thanks for the input.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users