Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor sometimes flashes black

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Not entirely sure where to put this, since this could either be the fault of the graphics card or the monitor... but I'm gonna assume it's the monitor since I can play games just fine.

Anyway as the title says, sometimes when the monitor displays a gif (and on initial boot up after I log in), the picture on the monitor will cut out. I've had this monitor for... five or so years now? So it's possible that it's just old. What do you guys think? So far it's only happening when gifs play and on initial boot up. It never happens when I'm gaming.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

Is it just .gifs or is it any image file - .jpg, .png and so on ?

Given that you say that the computer works fine when you are gaming, which is far more graphics intensive than displaying any static image, I would ask what application are you using to view .gifs ?  You could always try another image viewer, for example Irfanview or Faststone.

Also check the cables between the computer and the monitor and the power cable to the monitor that they are properly connected at both ends.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:33 PM

Discord and Chrome are the what I'm using to view the gif files, and it only happens for any video or image file that plays an animation. Though I've also noticed that for animation streaming, the fllashes only happen on discord and when hovering over videos or unpausing videos on xvideos. I'll check the cables going to the monitor; maybe the VGA cable got damaged in some way due to old age.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:56 PM

I'm gonna assume it's the monitor since I can play games just fine.

This is probably going to be the reverse, since the monitor just receives a signal, it has no way to differentiate whether it's coming from a game or something else. Purely by chance, something that provokes faulty behavior might only happen with gif animation, but that would be a very weird fault.

The quickest way to determine whether it's happening in the computer (video card) or monitor/cabling is to connect the monitor with its cable to another system and do what causes the black screen, see if it still occurs.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:19 PM

This is true. I could hook my monitor up to my laptop to see if it still happens. But yeah like you said, it's a really weird fault with the graphics card if it is the card since it's only happening with online videos, and once on boot up after logging in.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

A fault like that can occur with the overlay generator in the video card, or it can be a driver problem. Proving whether the monitor ever does it when connected to another system can guide where to look for the fault.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Shade the Wolf

Shade the Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

Well I just updated my drivers and the issue still occurs (it even occurred on fresh installs of the drivers) so it's likely the fault of either the graphics card itself, or something weird is going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users