Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The operating system is not presently configured to run this application

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zoet

Zoet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

I have a HP mini 100e which runs on a windows 7 starter, I just recently put in a new hard disk in it and since then I have been facing difficulties with opening many installed applications. The Microsoft word application, which I had been using until yesterday evening just stopped opening new documents and after I shut down to restart the system, it refused to launch anymore and keeps popping up the words, "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Your install media may have been corrupted. Was this a clean install on the new drive or was it a clone from the older drive?

You can download an iso of Windows 7 starter here. Use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. I believe the mini does not have an optical drive. Attach your USB flash drive and run Rufus on another computer. Use MBR for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso of Windows 7 starter edition. Press Start. You will need to have a valid key for the install which should be on the bottom of the HP. A phone activation will be needed. 

#3 Zoet

Zoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the advice.
Sorry for the late feedback, I had difficulty finding another person who was willing to let me use his computer to work with. Either ways, I have found one and I've done the installation, this time clean, just in case the previous one wasn't. Formatted the system and reinstalled a win7 ultimate os. During the install though, I skipped the step of inputting the product key, and the one at the bottom of my computer does not show all the components clearly. Now, I reinstalled all the applications again and they worked well for a night, but now the word program is giving the same message again.

Is this because I did not put in a product key, or is there another reason. And if it's a product key problem, what do I do about mine now? If it's not a product key issue, then what could it be? I haven't driven the system yet.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

I think your Office application may be corrupted. If you are not a heavy Office user and do not use many macros I would consider uninstalling Office and installing Softmaker Office Free.   I would also activate your Windows 7 starter. Why did you not enter the key during install?

This Office suite has very good compatibility with Microsoft Office.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

How to activate Windows with your product key.

https://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Windows-7

#5 Zoet

Zoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the response again. I do not think it's a matter of the office application because the source for these most recent installations of the of the windows os and the office program is different from the first. I am thinking that it may be a problem of the hard drive.

Besides, it does not just happen for office applications but also for the adobe reader application too. The adobe reader worked for a short time and started popping up messages of incompatibility and of the system being in protected mode.

Edited by Zoet, 28 June 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

I don't know if it's available on the Mini but most HP's allow you to do a System Diagnostic by tapping Esc at boot which will give you a selection menu.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2018 - 03:46 PM.

#7 Zoet

Zoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:53 AM

I left the system on hibernation mode so that I can continue to work on my word documents as I am current working on a report which has a deadline for delivery. If I shut down or even restart the system, I will be unable to access the documents again until I deal with the problem. Maybe I could try the system diagnostic once I'm done with the report.

So if my mini has that option, I will be able to diagnose the fault correctly?

Thanks for taking time to respond by the way.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

If there is a hardware problem like memory or with the HDD the HP diagnostic should be able to flag it. 

#9 Zoet

Zoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:47 AM

Okay. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users