Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on, monitor mouse and keyboard do not work.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stirfri

stirfri

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:38 AM

excuse my typing errors, on a phone late are night!

hello, i have had a problem where my computer turns on, but my monitor mouse and keyboard do not. I have tried with different devices, and it has not worked. I tried reseated graphics card, ram, and unplugging MOBO and CPU, and of course re plugging it in. This happened after i had installed Nvidia Game Ready drivers, and i restarted my computer for them to take effect. I tried to use my motherboards graphics to go onto the monitor, but that didnt work so it may be a motherboard issue? the only thing i have not tried is changing psu, as i do not have access to another one. a fast response with help would be appreciated. thank you.
SPECS
EVGA 500W PSU
B350M MSI GAMING PRO
ASUS 1060 3GB
RYZEN 3 1200 NO OC STOCK COOLER
4x2 8 GB KIT OF HYPERX RAM
1 TB SEAGATE HDD

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2018 - 04:01 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:38 AM

For others to help you ....what Operating System ?

Until then i can only suggest a hard shutdown , disconnect power leads and hold the start button in for 30 secs.

Also remove the CMOS Battery for a short time and reinstall.

Can you disconnect the Hard Drive from the PC and then get into the BIOS to do a Default Setup and reboot.

#3 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:46 AM

i am on windows 10, thank you for the tips. I will try them in the morning and tell you the results!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:17 AM

FWIW

Game Ready Drivers

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2018 - 06:20 AM.

#5 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

alright i tried removing the cmos battery and doing the 30 second trick, neither worked, but thank you for the efforts. and to louis, how should i revert back to an older driver? im not very tech savvy and i dont know how that would work if i cant access the monitor, mouse, or keyboard. i also cannot use the microsoft basic display adapter.

#6 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

if anyone has any ideas, ill try them out later in the day and share my results. will be out of home all day, but can respond on my phone.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Sounds to me as if you have a possibly failed PSU...since there does not appear to be any sign that the system actually works.

What error message appears on the monitor when you try to boot?  The monitor is not affected by any system problem...so your assertion that it is not working...has to be inaccurate...or you have a bad monitor.  Does your monitor display a "No Signal" message?

Louis

#8 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

no, it does not say anything. my monitor literally stays black and doesnt say anything. i had an issue before, where it did so no signal, but i fixes that by just repeating the graphics card.

#9 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 734 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Try the following and let us know if you can get any of the options to work. Also try enable low resolution video and disable driver signature

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1. Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer as soon as you see the rotating loading circle 
2.Repeat this 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
4. After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
  • Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
  • Command Prompt (6)

5. Wait for Safe Mode to load.
6. Logon with an Administrator account if needed.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

I agree with Hamluis that it does sound as though your computer isn't working, but have you tried your monitor in a different computer just to check that the monitor itself is working ?

Chris Cosgrove

#11 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

in response to dmc, i cannot do that as i cant even see when the circle starts spinning. i tried another monitor with my computer and it didnt work either, so im sure its my computer.

#12 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

alright, so its come down to it most likely being my power supply or motherboard (really hope its not motherboard) can anyone link some ways to test if its the power supply? tysm

#13 stirfri

stirfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

alrighty guys! i got it fixed, and my computer is back to running again. apparently it was a dead cmos battery, so all i did was get a replacement and boom it works! thank you for the suggestions and thank you for sticking with it

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users