Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ok sdo, new USB to headphone jack adapter = no sound

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

Ok so, Windows 7 Pro user here. Yeah I know, gonna get railed at for still using 7 Pro, {I still got XP Pro!!} Now then

I recently got a iLuv USB to 3.5MM Audio Jack adapter off amazon. Day 1 it worked perfectly fine, day to, not so much, First I lost my volume control panel next to my clock. Then I lost sound entiurely after getting it back. I tried three videos on youtube with no luck.

What do I do ?

Any help quick would be great

NOTE: Neither the new adapter nor the original but now dead audio jack are producing sound whatsoever.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

Sound Problems.

Louis

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Thank you for the link Louis,

Unfortunately, none of those topics were helpful as I tried them all. As oif right now, I am now only getting background music in all videos played either on youtube or on my DVD softare {I have tried Windows Media Player as well as VLC, along with my preffered DVD software of PoerDVD}

I cannot hear ANY dialog, it automatically mutes any dialog of any character or person speaking, but will play background soundeffects and background music, very quietly to not at all.

Is this a sound driver issue or do I need to get a new laptop ?

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2018 - 05:41 AM.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:41 AM

I would never consider buying a new system...for a sound, video, or other problem that could possibly be a driver/component problem.

I would uninstall the sound drivers, using Device Manager...reboot...see if there is any improvement...and run the Windows Sound Troubleshooter.

I would also remove/uninstall the component (and related software) which seems to have initiated your problems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2018 - 05:43 AM.

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:29 PM

Well, I tried that last option, started up laptop, uninstalled the driver for the onboard audio, then restarted the laptop. Then ran troubleshooter. Problem STILL persists

Device didnt come with any drivers and I cant find them either, its a basic iLuv USB to headphone/microphone adapter

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

I'm not sure if this will work but you can give the following a try. Remove the device. Also any USB flash drives or external drives. Don't remove any USB wifi dongles or printers.

Download DeviceCleanupcmd.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

devicecleanupcmd.zip

Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a folder called X64. Move it to the root of your C: drive.

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands.

cd c:\x64
devicecleanupcmd *

This deletes the drivers of all non-present devices. Reboot and attach your audio adapter. 

You can also type dxdiag in the search box. Running dxdiag may give a clue on what's wrong.

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

Ok let me get this right Root of the C: drive = Windows ©: ? I just want to be sure before I do something stupid and make it unrepairable

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Yes, copy or move folder X64 to C:\

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2018 - 08:11 PM.

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:31 PM

Issue still persists. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Have you tried this adapter in different USB ports? I am assuming your are using ear or headphones on the 3.5mm jack.

Right click the Speaker Icon > Playback Devices > Headphones (should have a green check mark) > Properties > Levels > Balance. Make sure the sliders are both the same.

If you lost the Speaker icon right click the system tray clock > Properties. Make sure the Speaker Volume Icon is set to On.

Also create a new User account and see if that helps. 

#11 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

Well, friday, the 22nd June I got the adapter, it worked that evening and most of the night, Then out of habit when I pack up the laptop I muted sound. So when I fierd up the laptop the next day and plugged the adapter in, The volume icon by the clock was somehow set to OFF and even grayed out. When I finally got it to show up again, the sound problems continued.

I have tried the adapter in all 4 ports yes, same issue in each one, including the original 3.5mm headphone jack built into the laptop

Balance area levels are indeed the same.

EDIT TO ADD: Am about to test the problem on a test account on this rig; will edit when needed

EDIT 2: Issue persists and is actually worse in the test account

Edited by Dragongirl, 25 June 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

I believe you said you are getting some sound. If it's completely gone check that the Windows Audio Service has started and is on Automatic. Also, did you run dxdiag?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#13 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

I am getting some sound yes, but extremely weak to nonexsistant. When any dialog is said, sound is entirely muted.

Windows Audio Service is running {Started} and set to Automatic

Yes I ran dxdiag, no errors were found

And no, no yello ! marks are found in Device Manager

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

I think the device itself is most likely bad. If new I would RMA it. How does this adapter work on the XP computer?

#15 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

I cant try on the old XP rig as its at home at this moment. I am currently at a hotel while on vacation at this time.

EDIT Which device, built in sound device or the adapter ?

Edited by Dragongirl, 25 June 2018 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users