Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want a Win 10 ISO USB for my 'new' refurb computer.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hello All,

My original 8yr old computer has win 10 on it and I have a bootable thumbdrive for this computer.

A couple of months ago I purchased a refurbished computer from walmart as a second computer.

The instructions for the refurb said I would have to 'scratch off' the yellow label to get the product key to activate win 10. Actually, the computer seemed to download updates for win 10 and works fine without having to enter any product key.

It seems to me that I would want to have a separate bootable ISO thumbdrive for this refurb computer. Isn't that the best thing to do?

Harry

Edited by harryhh, 23 June 2018 - 05:23 PM.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:38 PM

When writing the above post, I changed my mind of what I wanted and it didn't come out to clear.

Let's just do this.

I have a second computer. It's refurbished and came with win 10 on it. How do I make a bootable ISO thumbdrive for this computer?

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

You can download the Creation Tool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

And then install Win 10 from the USB you created to any PC.

If your existing PC had Win 10 and you reinstall from the USB it will automatically activate , as the key is tied to the Mobo.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

Instead of the above link, which might be great for New Zealand, try this link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After you download the ISO file onto your computer's hard drive, use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick that would be usable by all computers.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Thanks folks. This seems to have worked. I used the link in the post by Havachat.

I did do something a little different that I hope is okay.

When I used the Media Creation Tool it gave me the option to put files directly unto the usb drive instead of making an ISO and then copying that to the usb.

I chose to copy directly to the usb. Hopefully that is basically the same thing. My refurb computer will boot from the created usb drive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

Thanks folks. This seems to have worked. I used the link in the post by Havachat.

I did do something a little different that I hope is okay.

When I used the Media Creation Tool it gave me the option to put files directly unto the usb drive instead of making an ISO and then copying that to the usb.

I chose to copy directly to the usb. Hopefully that is basically the same thing. My refurb computer will boot from the created usb drive.

What you did is fine. Some people have problems creating the USB using the Media Creation Tool so they download the iso and use a program like Rufus to make a USB bootable flash drive. The iso method has an advantage of letting you store it on your hard drive should you wish to use the flash drive for something else. If something happened to the flash drive it would not be necessary to use the Media Creation Tool again to download over 3GB and create a new bootable flash drive. It also has the advantage of allowing somebody to create DVDs for other people without the need for them to use the MCT and download the files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2018 - 03:06 PM.

#7 mandyin

mandyin

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:42 AM

vote for Rufus for ISO to USB.

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

You could just extract an iso to a usb drive.

Find the setup.exe file & click on it to install.

I've done this with Win 10.

I used 7-Zip to extract the iso to the usb.

It's better to download the iso file to the usb & then use 7-Zip to "Extract Here".

Saves time.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#9 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

Creation tool enables you to do either. You can download the ISO or make a bootable usb. 

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

I also "vote for" the method where you use the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO file (create media for another machine option, or something like that) then use Rufus to create the bootable USB drive.

It's not that you can't have the Media Creation Tool create the bootable USB, but I'm one of those people who've had the process fail at this stage, twice over time, and you then have to start all over again from scratch, and if you're on DSL service like I am that means a full download of the ISO file all over again.

I prefer the slight extra bit of inconvenience in having to create the USB myself.  Once you've got the ISO you've got the ISO, and you can create as many bootable USB drives using it as you like.

I see no advantage of having separate bootable USB drives by machine under Windows 10.  You can use the same bootable media to do a repair or reinstall on any machine that has had Windows 10 installed and activated on it at any point in its lifetime.  The installer even figures out which Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) you had and will reinstall that Edition [unless you choose to enter the product key (activation key) for an upgraded Edition, which you can do, you just skip that step if you're doing a straight reinstall].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users