Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Block on Harddisk after disabling RAID and reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crusher21

Crusher21

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hey guys,

I bought my laptop, the MSI GT72 Dominator Pro 2QE, 3 years ago and it came with 4 128GB SSD's in RAID. I finally decided to get rid of the RAID by disabling it in the bios and switching to AHCI. Then I formatted all four partitions and installed Windows 10 on the first one. That all went well and I just finished getting everything all set up. However...I've noticed that in Event Viewer I'm getting the error "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block." I decided to run chkdsk in read-only mode and it found no problems. Also, every time Windows starts up, I get a notification from Intel Rapid Storage Technology saying that something is wrong with my drive but it won't tell me what.

I'm not all that concerned about the health of my SSD. I used Crystal Disk Info to verify and it said that they were all in good shape. I'm assuming it's freaking out because of the old RAID setup and I think I may have forgotten to delete a partition that was associated with the RAID but I can't be sure. What should I do to stop it from pestering me about this?

RzU9kkl.png

EDIT: The problem is a lot worse than I thought actually. Windows can't initialize my 3 SSD's because it still thinks they are in raid and is saying they are 512GB. Also, booting into Linux, it didn't even detect the other 3 SSD's. I never unlinked the array in intel's Rapid Storage Technology, should I just put it back in RAID in the bios, reinstall Rapid Storage Technology, unlink the RAID there and then reinstall windows again?

Edited by Crusher21, 23 June 2018 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crusher21

Crusher21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

Finally solved the problem. Previously, there was no option to delete the actual RAID in the BIOS since I was in AHCI mode. However, after turning the mode back to RAID, an Intel Rapid Storage Technology setting appeared which allowed me to delete the RAID. Now all the errors are gone.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for posting the solution !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users