Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 susie86

susie86

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Hi there,
I have a laptop i bought about 2 years ago, don't use it all that much, but I needed to download Visual Basic Express Edition and it said i needed Windows SP2, so I tried downloading that but it kept coming up with an error - I think it might have something to do with my Windows not being a "genuine" version - however it was already installed on there (along with Office) when I bought it. Is there anything at all I can do to get Windows XP SP2?
thanks guys!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:37 AM

If your Windows installation is not genuine you need to purchase a valid license.

If the version of Windows that is currently on the computer (I.E. Windows XP Home) came from the computer manufacturer with XP installed on it, it may be valid even though you get the non-genuine message.

Do you know the 25 digit key number for your Windows installation?

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the computer.

By not having SP2 and subsequent Windows Updates installed you have left your computer susceptable to malware infections too numerous to list. It is subject to virus, trojan and worm infections that would make it a hazard to other computers on the internet, especially any in your email address book, as well as opening any personal data such as banking records, etc, to the many miscreants looking to take advantage of the weak security you have allowed your computer to have.

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

How to tell if MS Software is genuine
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/faq.mspx

What to do if you have been sold counterfeit Windows XP software
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads...?displaylang=en

#3 susie86

susie86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:49 AM

Hey,
OK, no problem! Thanks for that!! I'll try giving them a ring in the next few days..if not i'll have to purchase a valid key
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users