Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: New desktop to replace laptop from 2009

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Laptop or Desktop?

Desktop

My budget for the new computer is:

$1000 or so, but I'd be happy to get by with less.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

I use PhotoShop to create digital art as a hobby.  I probably make around 5 pieces a year, but probably delete a few that are bad after a while..  The files can be around 50 MB.  I also take photos of drawings I make, which tend to be around 50 MB as well.  But these days I only make a few drawings a year.

I probably have around 150 CDs burned, but on lower quality.  I'd like to re-burn them in a lossless format.  I'm guessing that would be 100 GB?  I used to collect CDs, but these days I get an album once or twice a year, so it won't grow a lot.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

PhotoShop, maybe Illustrator, iTunes.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

I like running PhotoShop, iTunes, and a web browser, and switching between them as I work on digital art.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

See above for music and art.

Will you be overclocking?

I don't know what this is.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

In the past, I've bought Dell.

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Probably one large one 27" monitor

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Windows

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

My previous computer was a laptop I used for school in 2009.  It's lasted almost ten years, although the browsers aren't supported since it's Vista.  It's very slow, and I've just been using it into the ground.  The Internet stopped working (it doesn't recognize the wireless card) but I think it's time to get a new one.  If such a computer exists, I'd like to get one that will last a long time.  I don't care if it slows down over time.  I'd rather use a slow computer longer than spend money I don't have on a new computer that's a bit faster.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:23 AM

Can you build from parts or does it have to be prebuilt?

If prebuilt, know any shops that sell prebuilt computers or alternatively in which country are you living?

If you ask me, OEM machines like Dell are crap.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 24 June 2018 - 06:24 AM.

#3 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

I could build it I suppose. Ive never done that before. It probably isnt too hard to figure out. I was thinking getting a dell would just save time, and maybe get a warranty. But maybe building my own would be better?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

It depends, since you are not gaming a prebuilt would technically be better suited but there are a lot of limitations and caveats with prebuilts.

I mean you could do a budget build too, your workload doesnt requite anything too fancy so even a small cube PC will suit you.

Do you need a speciffic size for your machine?

Any space limitations or will a traditional desktop will be more to your liking?

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 June 2018 - 09:54 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

I will have about 125 GB of music (used 40 in the past but I will reburn at lossless)

100 GB mainly for digital art

47 GB for other windows related programs

So about 290. I dont buy as much music these days... maybe one album or 250 MB a year. Some of the digital art files could go on flash drives or hard drives since they are just rough sketches of ideas, and its not that important to me if they got lost one day. I care more about the final works, which I back up to two hard drives, and google drive.

I could probably get away with a TB drive. I like the idea of having a two TB drive, but dell said they wouldnt replace a 1TB with a 2. They did for my dad when I bought him a dell. I might buy a third external drive because Im paranoid about losing stuff (Im an archivist by trade).

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,476 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

If you can build yourself, then we have no problems recommending parts when we know where or from which country you want to buy parts.

#7 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

Im leaning toward something basic like this. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/new-inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3670-desktop/ddcwgmmtcfl417s

Do yo know if it be significantly expensive to build something similiar myself?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,476 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

No. This is bit better and has much higher quality parts https://pcpartpicker.com/list/htbjWD

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,223 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

My question is:  Do you really want a desktop?

You can use a laptop with an external monitor and these days an HDMI out is pretty much standard on any laptop.   Also, given the tasks you describe you do not need something with every bell and whistle nor that need be particularly spectacular with processing speed.  Given that most machines come with very large HDDs these days (unless you were to opt for an SSD) storage should be no problem for you.  Even with an SSD, your storage needs appear to be on the lower end of the scale.

I ask the desktop versus laptop thing because most people I know with laptops, even if they do so very seldom, like to be able to "pick up and go" with it when they need to or want to.

I have never owned anything except a pre-built machine, be it laptop or desktop, in the over 30 years I've been using them and none has died from "lack of quality" but simply aged out of being powerful enough to handle "what's happening now."  I've never purchased high end boxes, either.

Were you to go with a desktop and build it yourself, I would suggest going with Windows 10 Pro rather than Home.  The price differential is minimal and there are some things you can control with regard to updates far more easily with Pro than Home.

Edited by britechguy, 02 July 2018 - 02:04 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

No. This is bit better and has much higher quality parts https://pcpartpicker.com/list/htbjWD

Maybe I will go this route.  I have to make sure I won't mess up putting it together :)

#11 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

My question is:  Do you really want a desktop?

You can use a laptop with an external monitor and these days an HDMI out is pretty much standard on any laptop.   Also, given the tasks you describe you do not need something with every bell and whistle nor that need be particularly spectacular with processing speed.  Given that most machines come with very large HDDs these days (unless you were to opt for an SSD) storage should be no problem for you.  Even with an SSD, your storage needs appear to be on the lower end of the scale.

I ask the desktop versus laptop thing because most people I know with laptops, even if they do so very seldom, like to be able to "pick up and go" with it when they need to or want to.

I have never owned anything except a pre-built machine, be it laptop or desktop, in the over 30 years I've been using them and none has died from "lack of quality" but simply aged out of being powerful enough to handle "what's happening now."  I've never purchased high end boxes, either.

Were you to go with a desktop and build it yourself, I would suggest going with Windows 10 Pro rather than Home.  The price differential is minimal and there are some things you can control with regard to updates far more easily with Pro than Home.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but my thought was a desktop last longer (in the way you described).  I've heard people say laptops don't last as long.  RIght now I don't really need portability, but of course maybe in the future that would change so it would be nice to have a laptop.  I am hoping to make the computer work as long as possible... I had my laptop for almost 10 years, but it really started feeling slow around year 6 or so.  Making it last it really just a money issue.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,223 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

A great deal of the lifespan of laptops, in my experience, is directly related to how the laptop is handled.  A lot of people heap a lot of abuse on a laptop, and unless it's one specifically designed for very rough use (generally special issue for military use), that means it's not going to last nearly as long as a desktop which leads a sedentary life.

That being said, most laptops will last every bit as long as a desktop these days if they are treated with even reasonable respect.  I am sitting next to a Dell Inspiron 1720 that dates from 2006 that still runs just fine (though it is now having issues with the built in keyboard).  My partner, while not doing the "Samsonite Gorilla test" on his laptops is far less careful with his than I am with mine (and I don't treat it like an egg that's extremely delicate) and we've got laptops that we still use that are already 5-7 years old, though those are now our secondary machines (read, used mostly when we travel).

The one thing that I have found doesn't age very well at all on many laptops, compared to desktops, is optical drives, but these days how many people routinely use one?  Many laptops, and an increasing number of desktops, do not include an optical drive since optical media is going the way of the dinosaur [and if you saw the news yesterday about Best Buy withdrawing audio CDs from sale at all their retail locations that says a lot].

In the final analysis, I would let how you anticipate using the computer be your guide as to which format you ultimately acquire.  The longevity factor just doesn't vary enough if you exercise simply reasonable caution, particularly against drops (period, but particularly from above 3 feet and on to hard surfaces), with a laptop.

If you decide to go with a laptop, definitely consider the higher end AMD APU range, the A10 or A12, and you can get a very zippy machine at a cost far below that of the Intel i3/5/7 CPUs that should almost certainly meet your needs.  The laptop I'm typing on is an HP with an A12-9750P processor and my secondary is an A8-6410, which still works quite well for the vast majority of things I use it for provided I don't try to do all of them at once.

Edited by britechguy, 02 July 2018 - 08:24 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 ice_skate_999

ice_skate_999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hmm... now Im not sure if I should get a desktop or a laptop :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users