Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Firefox Bookmarks Poof Gone!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki

Nikki

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

Well...it happened!!

I took the advice others gave(not in this forum) and downloaded FEBE and
Google Browser Sync (I think that's the name). After reading a post from someone
who's bookmarks vanished.

I downloaded both of them to make sure if one program was not working there would be something else to back them up (I don't know if that was a good idea) and now look at me
3:00 a.m. in the morning literally crying over my bookmarks.

I'm not very computer savvy help is hard to find with all technical terms I don't
even understand.

I can't restore them or just don't know how. I really need those bookmarks back. So much information and so many sites I had bookmarked for later including this one. Took me a while to even find it.

I feel so STUPID right now. I thought I was really doing something to protect myself against this and now look where I am.

If someone could HELP ME in laymens terms(the best you can) about how to restore my
lost bookmarks I'd really appreciate it.

They just can't be gone!!!
How could this happen even after I downloaed two backup programs??

I was thinking of taking my computer to the shop but I don't to spend a lot a money just so some guy can press a button or two and then charge me $100 for it.

Please help!!!

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 10 October 2006 - 07:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

Downloading helper applications without thoroughly researching them first may have been the cause of your problem. Fortunately, Mozilla's Firefox stored your bookmarks in a file separate from the actual browser, so these may be retrievable. First, just to check, click on bookmarks and then manage bookmarks; make sure nothing shows.

Then try this:

File/Import/- - -this will bring up the import wizard. Choose "Netscape 6,7, or Mozilla 1x" as the option. Using the wizard to import pre-existing bookmarks may solve your problem quickly. If this does not work, then reply with your version of Windows so we can direct you to the appropriate file.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

Did you lose just the bookmarks, or did the entire profile get corrupted?

What version of Firefox do you have?

From http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html

Firefox 1.5 and up automatically creates backup copies of your bookmarks. They are saved in a folder called bookmarkbackups. You can find this folder in your Firefox profile directory.
To replace lost bookmarks, simply copy the backup file to your profile folder (one level up) and rename it to "bookmarks.html".

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks may also be of some help.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Nikki

Nikki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:48 AM

I just lost the bookmarks.
But thanks everyone for your help, I got them back now. :thumbsup: