Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop heating problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xxx420quickscoperxxx

xxx420quickscoperxxx

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

Hello BC, long time no see,

OK, My laptop runs hot when I use VirtualDJ, I use speccy, so I know the temps, anyway it shoots up to 90+ degrees Celsius everytime I run VirtualDJ, goes down to 60 when I close it, can u help me? at least some tips

PS, it's a 2010ish laptop

Edited by xxx420quickscoperxxx, 23 June 2018 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 level2

level2

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hi, My laptops were heating up ~ I had to open them up and remove a clump of dust and fibers about the size of your little finger nail  ```` No more heating up ```

Good luck

Richard

#3 level2

level2

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

If you look ~ there should be a tear down of your computer on the net ~ that will make it easy to remove the mouse ~ that will allow your fan to cool the laptop ```

Richard

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

can you post your speccy results online.   may just be your processor is over taxed.  I had the same issue because my laptop was to old and we a single core processor.  and all the newer audio software is optimized for multi core systems.

you could also try the aid of a laptop cooling pad.  

#5 OLDXTECH

OLDXTECH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

Speccy does not always work correctly.

Case in point.  I have a HP Pavilion lap top that my wife uses for games.

When it is turned on from a cold night, Speccy tells me the CPU is over 250F!!!

When I use CoreTemp, it returns only 109F after a few hours being on!

This is not the first time that Speccy has given me bad data. 

They choose to ignore my comments.

Food for thought.

Cheers

#6 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:22 PM

Here's a few thoughts on overheating:
2010ish is 8 years old. This was the era, give or take, where "they" just started to figure out how to keep a laptop cool. Early laptops burnt up a lot. A single core processor with a 1.5 to 2.5GHz processor for instance can hardly, or nominally keep up with high powered software and your CPU will max out and heat up in shorter periods of time. Check out VirtualDJ's "Minimum system requirements" and "Recommended system requirements"

Optimizations:
>Unplug the laptop from the wall and take the battery out.

Hold the power on key as if starting up but it won't of course.

Hold down for at least 15 seconds to discharge the system.
>Blow all dust out of the system. Sometimes the fans are embedded with fibers.
  Your laptop is probably old enough to have a removable bottom or flaps so you can blow it out.

Hold the fans in place with a piece of slim plastic or similar from rotating too fast when you blow it out.
>2010ish is probably Vista or Seven. Turn all the bells and whistles off:
  Start menu > right click 'Computer' > Properties > Advanced system settings > Performance > Settings... >

tick: 'Adjust for best performance'.
>Leave the bottom or flaps off and keep it on a cooler pad. Cooler Master pads are good.

>Don't let the ambient room temp be too hot.
>Get a second and third doctor's opinion besides speccy: CoreTemp, CrystalDiskInfo portable.

CrystalDiskInfo will tell you about the health of your hard drive as well as temp, too much heat will destroy it.

CrystalDiskInfo's portable standalone does not come with extras you may not want.
>Get a CPU monitor to see when and if it is maxing out.

I like ProcessHacker which might be overkill but it's great with a CPU monitor in the system tray,

not to mention a multitude of great features.
>Unplug the laptop from the wall when shutdown. This will save battery life
  Hope this helps

#7 Wilsondrake

Wilsondrake

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Hello BC, long time no see,

OK, My laptop runs hot when I use VirtualDJ, I use speccy, so I know the temps, anyway it shoots up to 90+ degrees Celsius everytime I run VirtualDJ, goes down to 60 when I close it, can u help me? at least some tips

PS, it's a 2010ish laptop

Laptops do heat up as the room they have is not enough to provide space for cool down. So simply lifting off your laptop a bit from the surface would allow air to circumvent and you can even use a cooling fan that will solve most of your problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users