Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I install Windows 10 64Bit on a old Core 2 Duo system?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Windows10User

Windows10User

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I have an old Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 with 3GB of RAM. I was thinking if I should upgrade it to a 64Bit version of Windows.

System specs:

Fujitsu S6410/S6411? Not sure as the serial is for a S6410 but it calls it self a S6411 in the BIOS 

Intel Core 2 Duo T3700

Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

3GB DDR2 RAM

120GB HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Microsoft lists the Windows 10 minimum hardware requirements as:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.
    Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS.
    Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
    Display: 800x600.

If your computer meets these specs you should be able to run Windows 10.

What is the make and model of this computer.

Please do the following:

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PO3hIdzuXS8KxomPIepxAzw

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

Please run chkdsk /r and then rerun the Speccy and post the hyper link.

Chkdsk for Windows 10

Please run chkdsk /r if this is a HHD, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r or /f you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.    

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the appropriate command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

If this is a hdd use chkdsk /r.

If this is a ssd use chkdsk /f.

This will automatically start the chkdsk /f scan.

As the scan runs you will see a running percentage of the scan at the bottom of the scan.

There should be a short message when the scan ends, please post this message in your topic.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.  Do not stop this scan as this can damage your operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7bL2OI48Pjpx1yPHIVDMWrb

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Please run SeaTools for Windows

The download loads is a Zip-file, a program like WinZip will be needed to unzip this file.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#7 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Wait, is there something wrong with the results?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

That is what we are trying to determine.  Please do what I've asked you to do.

#9 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Don't worry the test is running

#10 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.6 ---------------
23/06/2018 4:44:16 PM
Model Number: FUJITSU MHW2160BH PL
Serial Number: K10HT7A25VM9
Firmware Revision: 0000001C
Long Generic - Started 23/06/2018 4:44:16 PM
Long Generic - Pass 23/06/2018 6:06:45 PM

I really don't understand why I'm running these tests, I'm just asking if I should upgrade the laptop from Windows 10 x86 to Windows 10 x64

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

You have Windows 10 32-bit.  If you wish to upgrade up to the 64-bit version you will need to purchase a valid product code for this and then do the upgrade.  You can find a good tutorial for changing the 34-bit to the 64-bit version here.

#12 Windows10User

Windows10User
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

With the release of Windows 10 November Update (1511), and later versions such as the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), you can switch directly to a 64 bit version of Windows 10 with or without a product key.

It seems like that's not the case any more as I do have a valid Windows 10 Pro key on the system.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-migrate-to-windows-10-64-bit-from-32-bit/40d90c4e-8845-4bcb-bb2f-aeab312caf74

#13 Welephant

Welephant

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

As a practical example I can tell you it is worthwhile. I have Windows 10 32-bit running on my faithful Latitude D620 which has the original Centrino Duo T2300 @ 1.67GHz. 120GB HDD

I upgraded the OS over time from the original XP through Windows 7 to Windows 10. I also made sure even under XP that I had the maximum RAM expansion the D620 can take which is 4Gb. 

I've had no issues and the old girl is running happily albeit not quite as slick as a $2000 replacement.As long as you give Windows 10 a decent head of RAM ideally in excess of 2Gb, don't restrict free space on your hard drive for it to use dynamically and avoid opening too many apps at a time everything works pretty well. 

You will need to upgrade to windows on a like for like basis. For example if you have Home addition 7 then it won't be a free upgrade to windows 10 pro (Only 10 home) however you can just check on the windows 10 upgrade site if you haven't done so already. 32 to 64 is not an issue if your machine is capable and Microsoft will allow this under the upgrade scenario if you have your current OS product key.

For details go to:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 

I used the above to upgrade the Dell however for a new build on a project machine I used the excellent guide to "Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10" by Bri the Tech Guy here on Bleeping Computer:-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/ 

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:52 PM

I really don't understand why I'm running these tests, I'm just asking if I should upgrade the laptop from Windows 10 x86 to Windows 10 x64

To make sure your Hard Drive is not damaged, and therefore would be a waste of time to do all this work.  But as you can see your Hard Drive is in good shape.  Whether or not you should Upgrade to x64 is up to you, and you should be able to do it with no issues.  If you don't have a lot of stuff installed, Product Keys, Files etc. to worry about then yes 64bit would be good. 64bit will use a little more resources also, so that may be something to consider.  Personally I would not install Windows 10 on that pc at all, but if you don't mind how slow it runs now then your good to go.  I would install a lightweight Linux Distro.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

If your version of Windows 10 is the x86-based PC, then you can't install another architecture of the operating system. To determine if if your computer is the x86 version do the following.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. Click on System, then select About.

gfMUBlJ.png

When System opens click on About. The results will look similar to the image below but with the information for your operating system.

1vsMIFB.png

For complete instructions go to the Windows Central website.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users