Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System clock loses 1 hour.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:29 AM

Win 7 SP1 64 bit, fully updated

Mobo -  ASUS A88X-pro

CPU -  AMD A6-7400K

RAM -  12GB DDR3

BIOS - American Megatrends v2603 date 10/03/2016

This is beginning to annoy me !  Regularly, if I look at the clock in the taskbar I find it has dropped one hour. If I go into the BIOS and reset the clock it stays that way for a day or two and then it is back to one hour slow.

I  know that the most common cause of this is the CMOS battery so I replaced it the other day and my clock is back to one hour slow again. The time zone is set to UTC 0 which is correct and daylight saving is set active.

It's not that this is causing any problems with web-sites or anything, it's just annoying me. Anybody got any ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

If the time changes in your UEFI/BIOS and if you replaced the battery I would look a the connection between the battery and motherboard. Perhaps cleaning the contacts for the battery would help. When pulling the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds then replace.

The motherboard has a jumper to clear the RTC RAM. Turn the power off and set the jumper. The manual gives the location on page 2-19.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

Thanks John.

I reset the clock in BIOS this morning and booted into Windows and the time was fine, after a while changed over to the Dark Side and the clock was fine. After an hour or so there shut down and, after lunch came back to Windows. Just looked at the clock again and the time is 1 hour behind itself. Again !

I can see an exciting time coming up next weekend. The CPU heatsink assembly could do with being cleaned also. Might as well give the interior a thorough cleaning while I am at it. There's a lot to be said for using an employer's computers - they get the problems !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

after a while changed over to the Dark Side

??  

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

Linux. I dual boot !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

I was thinking that.

https://www.howtogeek.com/323390/how-to-fix-windows-and-linux-showing-different-times-when-dual-booting/

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Now that is interesting, John. I had thought that over the last few months when I had noticed this problem on and off that sometimes the time in Linux appeared correct even when the time in Windows appeared to be an hour out. I wouldn't say I had paid a great deal of attention to it, as I said this has been more of an annoyance than anything else. It certainly hasn't caused any of the problems I would normally associate with a failed CMOS battery, but it is the usual immediate action procedure, it's not as though a 2032 costs an arm and a leg.

I will now probably get around to looking at that solution tomorrow, Monday, instead of leaving it to next weekend. I might have had a look at it today except for the fact that I was away all day helping run a stand at an exhibition. Unhappily that doesn't change the fact that I need to get inside this tower and do some house keeping !

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

That line of code from howtogeek seems to have fixed it John, for which my thanks. At least, two days later having switched between OSs several times a day it hasn't happened again, both are consistently showing the correct time.

I must admit I still don't understand how what appears to be an interaction between two different OSs, in this case on separate hard drives, can affect the UEFI/BIOS settings. It was always my understanding that the BIOS was involved entirely with getting the computer (1) to recognise it is a computer and (2) to start the operating system running. It maybe that this speaks more of my lack of a knowledge of the theory behind operating systems.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

Join the club, I haven't figured out the issue either because after I boot a live linux disk the time on Windows changes but I never had the problem with the BIOS clock changing when I dual booted Ubuntu and XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users