Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Tor safe for normal surfing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darkslaye

Darkslaye

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:22 AM

Ello there.

I just want to know if Tor is safe for normal uses. I don't want to explore the deep web or anything, however, rather just go through the web without being tracked.

I just want to know these things

Will anyone track me?
Is it safe when I strictly use it for normal things? (Facebook and all that, I won't sign into my accounts with Tor)

Will it draw any attention? Even if legal use?

Thanks

Edited by Darkslaye, 23 June 2018 - 10:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

Hi, Darkslaye and Welcome to BC! :welcome:

Here is an in-depth article on the Tor browser and how it works, including its vulnerabilities:

http://www.cloudpro.co.uk/leadership/5581/tor-browser-news-three-vulnerabilities-allow-spies-to-detect-tor-browsers

And given these, personally, I neither use it nor recommend using it. :exclame:

You are welcome! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 24 June 2018 - 09:24 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

The Tor browser is associated with its own network.......namely, the onion router network!

Its primary use is to gain access to the Dark Web, no other browser will allow you access to this as they dont support the onion.

You can certainly use it for normal browsing however, because Tor disables Javascript and many other plugins (which are potential security open doors), many websites will not function as smoothly as they would with other browsers.

Tor will allocate a different IP for every site visit, so sites like FB, Gmail etc may lock your account if it senses multiple log in attempts from different locations.

Tor also buffers very slowly so watching video content from sites such as Youtube can be draining on the soul.

The whole point of the onion network is to keep some sense of anonymity while accessing what most browsers cant.

Your better of using VPN on the clear web,

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

I just want to know if Tor is safe for normal uses. I don't want to explore the deep web or anything, however, rather just go through the web without being tracked.

Do you plan to use Tor with your own browser, or will you use the "Tor Browser"?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

Many .coms etc will block traffic coming from a tor exit node. The network can also be pretty slow at times-- bouncing everybody's traffic around.

If your concerned about tracking there are many excellent browser add ons you can use that will help alot. I am speaking about Fire Fox add-ons because thats what Iam familiar with.

. As mentioned you may also want to try a paid VPN service. If the VPN dosnt provide a DNS service then you can use other options like OpenNic, Simple DNScrypt etc. for DNS look ups.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users