Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random ramblings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:11 AM

These are things I'm pondering that ARE computer related but, don't need to be in the computer forums necessarily...  mostly spitting out my thoughts and frustrations...

1.  I've said this a million times in a millions places... I HATE decisions. They're tough for me... honestly.
I've been wrestling with the idea of building a new pc for several years now... have started a few conversations about it on here... started a parts list a few times... sometimes I'm just picky(and poor)... and, money does get in the way. When money seems less certain I back out of big decisions a bit... and building a new pc is a bit of a big decision for us.  Lately, I've been going back and forth over pc vs laptop. I know if I start a discussion on that in the proper forums I'm going to get some strong opinions on the matter. What you get for your money, a desktop seems preferred... lots more options, customizing, power, etc...  But some of those guys can get pretty dead set in their opinions... since a desktop is "the best", some of these guys will TELL you that you NEED it.
I love the idea of a desktop... it's what I'm familiar with... I can't stand a latpop keyboard... or mouse... and, honestly I'd love to custom build a desktop and put in some colorful fans, tower with a window, etc... even if it's not a top of the line machine. It would be fun and "cool." 
On the other hand......  laptops are portable. Once in a while we go on vacation, travel 1500+ miles away to visit family... I end up using one of the kids' laptops while on vacation but, having my own would be handy...And, I'm mostly doing general browsing with only some light gaming.  So, what is a "need" anyway?
And, laptop AND desktop for myself is definitely not an option.

I've been thinking about this more... once again... because this machine I'm on is still aging... and something newer sure would be nice.

I'll make a decision... some day. :(

2. AV programs and other software... what's the best?  I've even gone so far as to ask people before... I know how varying the opinions can be AND, I know how things change from year to year, often. A long time ago, AVG seemed THE AV to use...  it worked well for me. Then, eh... started bothering me in one way or another... switched to Avast... haven't had problems with it but I will say that like others... I HATE what they do to promote their paid version... every time there's a big update... there are HUGE green buttons everywhere saying "try free" or something... and the "no thanks" or to continue to the free version... TINY grayed out text. Tricky... underhanded even... and I do hate it. And how they, and SO many other programs out there, PUSH chrome. Why? Are they getting paid to push it? Why would one program ask me to install another company's program SO often? Drives me nuts. Nope, don't want chrome... and hate that I need to uncheck that box every time or it will go in there automatically. Not cool.

Now with all that said... this is running through my head tonight because of a discussion I had on FB where someone was telling me that he wasn't an amateur... I asked a question and didn't want amateur responses... then he told me if I didn't hear anything else from him to get rid of Avast... it's horrible... Defender is the way to go... said he's been on defender from the beginning...  (defender sure hasn't always been spectacular as far as I recall)
He told me I have no idea what avast is doing to my computer and since it's difficult to remove, well then it HAS to go.

I hate when people actually know a lot about computers and then think they actually know all there is.

Avast still gets great ratings from all the big tech companies as well as the AV testing sites. It's not THE best by any means but, I haven't seen anything out there suggesting I better get rid of it RIGHT AWAY... 

and speaking of that guy and how that conversation started... maybe, if anyone is reading this, someone can tell me if this is a topic worth starting somewhere and, where exactly.

I've been playing this game called Star Trek: Alien Domain.
I started on FB but now play using FB gameroom... as well as an account I use on Firefox, IE, and now puffin.  Why I have 4 accounts isn't important and, not that exciting... but, I bring it up because it's relevant. At least a couple times a day something happens and it will say "disconnected from server, attempting to reconnect" and I have to hit the okay button to get it to refresh. This will happen on gameroom, firefox, and IE.  On puffin, sometimes it disconnects but often it just sort of hiccups without disconnecting. When this happens, it happens to all 4 accounts at the same time... different programs...
At first I figured it was the game... it is buggy.  Then I started thinking it was on my end... and with all 4 at the same time, maybe it was my connection...
Then the other day, I had my son's laptop open with the same game open. He has his own account. On my desktop, this machine, all 4 accounts hiccuped again but, his(over wifi) did not.
So, what would be happening on my pc that would cause a disruption in the game I play?
Someone suggested my internet card or something... and, my AV got brought up which is how that discussion got started.

This daily hiccup is a minor nuisance... but, I do believe it's something on MY computer. The question is how to troubleshoot it...
Is that worth creating an actual "help" topic in one of the forums? Hardware maybe?

Lots of thoughts...  I'll check back after some sleep.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:24 AM

1. desktop vs laptop. you have already made the decision. (you said, I can't stand a latpop keyboard... or mouse)

I must admit I dislike laptop mice, keyboards, etc....fiddly. I do like the portability angle...but if i seriously add up the occasions I would make use of the portability thing....it would place that priority way down the list. Way down.

What might be of interest here is.......what are the specs of your current PC ?    (Speccy may help)  (have you considered a change of OS......to Linux.  ?  ....with an upgrade to an SSD)

2. With Linux....no AV required.

What is causing the interruption on your current OS....i wont even guess.....you are using windows after all...so the possibilities are endless. Seeing you play that game in a browser....firefox ?....it may be caused by a corrupt firefox profile or an iffy add on.    (what exactly does "hiccuped" mean ?

I would open a topic in malware removal ....just to rule out any nasties. Maybe reboot your router/modem before anything.....then if it persists...the malware removal forum here on BC.

Late thought : if it does exactly the same on your sons laptop......definitely reboot the modem/router .

Chrome. I dislike it. For me it is not intuitive. Why do programs sit it there for you to install it etc etc.....because chrome is owned by google and because money changes hands.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Location:This tiny speck in the universe somewhere in the middle of time.
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Was surfing along,, oh HEY! this could be a good thread, but sadly I've no diatribes or ? what's that oh tirades handy.  Well maybe a thought or too wouldn't hurt.

Now why is it that my views seem? -- oh, to borrow a phrase, ad hominem and all the rhetoric that I can muster is genuine in that its slanted no -- tainted! with arrogance and a touch of hubris including ZINGERS!!!!!!

*Pondering in thought elbow on knee pose!***....mmmm *light goes on , above *** -- like the homer SIMPSON day Laaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! One reason might be that being cordial, polite, patient and tactful! -- zips you right down insignificant lane in a hurry.
-- PO ! BAM !giphy.gif

UPDATE: oh sorry about that I'd just cruised by and started rambling.

Linux

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 23 June 2018 - 08:46 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Bam? I'm a bit lost as to what I was supposed to get out of that response.
But I did post in the random section so, I shouldn't have any real expectations I guess.

Condobloke, I have a windows 7 Dell with a 500 gb hdd and 8gb ram. I can get more details if it really matters.
And, I really am still up in the air a bit with the decision. The keyboard and mouse thing can be fixed by simply plugging in a keyboard and mouse.

and I've gone back and forth on Linux before as well... pros and cons there... and pros and cons are the death of me... HA. 

Linux is not 100% immune to viruses...

lots of thoughts but my mind is in another place at the moment...

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

One problem with most of todays laptops is that you can't replace the battery or upgrade/replace the storage or ram.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

I use 10 year old desktops with Windows 7 and Linux on different computers.

Regular cleaning of my Windows 7 computer keeps it running good as the day I installed the OS.

My old computers are E7500 Core 2 Duo processor and 4.0GB DDR3 memory and Intel integrated graphics.

I use Avira Antivirus Free and only install the basic security protection along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free no problems.

Linux is good and worthy of a test drive imo and yes Linux like any OS isn't bullet proof however I've never caught anything on my Linux Computers and I can't say that about my Windows Computers.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Laptops just never liked them just to fragile and I don't need to be mobile and if I did a tablet would be my choice.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

One problem with most of todays laptops is that you can't replace the battery or upgrade/replace the storage or ram.

Some, yes.  Most, no :)  .   Many of them have internal batteries which can still be replaced although you have to take the laptop apart to get to it.   It's annoying but it can be done :)  .   Same goes for the RAM and storage. It really depends on the model.

If you want portability millipede, but still want to play games, perhaps you should consider a laptop and use a USB mouse and keyboard.   That way you can use the full size mouse and keyboard while you are at home (gaming or otherwise) and you can still make use of the laptop while traveling :)  .

AVG is bloated and more trouble than it's worth in my opinion, and I've always felt avast is not much better.   Again, my opinion only.   It really comes down to personal preference but you may be better off sticking with Windows Defender or another free AV alternative and running Malwarebytes as well ;)  . 

Edited by daveydoom, 24 June 2018 - 06:03 AM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

I haven't built my own in ten years but have serviced a few hundred since then.  I think the laptop, desktop decision is based on need.  I have one of each, Lenovo i5 with identical hardware and  software, desktop feeds a 22 inch where the LT is a 17 inch.  Each has it's purpose and are HD video with 2GB support.  I have seen all manner of Intel, AMD, Nvidia and the rest, even a handfull off Macs that had some weird TTL cards but really super diagnostics support.  I look at boot sequences, running processes, cycle times and how many registry enrties there are.  Amd and their now owned video have more processes running to support the video phases than an Intel, Nvidia pairing.  Mix match and the registry enrties add 2 more lines and a patch for memory.  Too most that's enough to influence a gamer in search of frame rates but not for a photo shop where retrieving long files from memory no so much.  Again, each has it's own uses where they do best.  Anti virus is needed but I feel that the first line of defense should not be my machine but the ISPs network.  They are putting me at risk passing along viruses, otherwise where would you get it??  I always opt for the ISPs antivirus suite that they offer for free.  It should provide the best protection and keep you up dated.  

#9 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

I feel that the first line of defense should not be my machine but the ISPs network.  They are putting me at risk passing along viruses, otherwise where would you get it?? 

I disagree.   Just because you pay them for the privilege of using the internet doesn't mean your ISP is responsible for your actions while you use that service.   In my opinion that's like saying whoever created a highway is responsible for every accident that occurs on it.

I always opt for the ISPs antivirus suite that they offer for free.  It should provide the best protection and keep you up dated.  

That is definitely an option but there is no guarantee their software is better than any other free solutions that are available :)  .   

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

I feel that the first line of defense should not be my machine but the ISPs network.  They are putting me at risk passing along viruses, otherwise where would you get it?? 

I disagree.   Just because you pay them for the privilege of using the internet doesn't mean your ISP is responsible for your actions while you use that service.   In my opinion that's like saying whoever created a highway is responsible for every accident that occurs on it.

I have to agree as I beleive the user has full control of what is let into / onto their computer.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

I always opt for the ISPs antivirus suite that they offer for free.  It should provide the best protection and keep you up dated.  

That is definitely an option but there is no guarantee their software is better than any other free solutions that are available :)  .   

The only Antivirus option any ISP around my area offers is McAfee Antivirus Suite and that wouldn't be any choice of mine.

#12 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

The only Antivirus option any ISP around my area offers is McAfee Antivirus Suite and that wouldn't be any choice of mine.

Same here :) ;)  .

Edited by daveydoom, 25 June 2018 - 12:14 PM.

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

Most ISPs in the uk don't offer any kind of antivirus suite, but if they did I would still opt for picking a free or paid product from an antivirus company who's business is to make antivirus software, and I'd pick what seemed best for me. I wouldn't just accept whatever product a company, an ISP, who do not have virus protection as their main business has chosen to bundle. As far as responsibility of ISPs for viruses go I'm siding with most of the commenters here so far, thinking of it as an ISPs responsibility would just encourage users to be less aware and careful, security is everyone's problem, and furthermore runs the risk of ISPs interfering with traffic to censor out what they think are viruses but are infact safe false positives that a fully aware user deliberately wants to download.

Linux, if you can get away from needing windows only programs or find you are able to make them compatible using wine, is a great choice for an OS. You are mostly free from ever worrying about viruses and also safe from the buggy mandatory update horrors of windows 10. As for laptops versus desktops, desktops will be better performance typically but if you move house a lot laptops are much easier to transport and ofcourse can go with you when travelling. I never use laptop trackpads, horrible things, but use a USb mouse just like would with a desktop thesedays, laptop keyboards are often quite nice, you needn't press the keys so far to type so can type quicker.

Edited by rp88, 30 June 2018 - 06:04 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users