Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winsock? So what if I allow AdwCleaner to reset Winsock?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

Previous and current version of AdwCleaner says if you use it, and allow some cleaning or such, it may reset Winsock.  I looked at an online definition article but I do not understand the importance of either keeping current Winsock or resetting Winsock; so I have no idea what allowing AdwCleaner to reset Winsock would do.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

Normally there is no reason for resetting.
You reset winsock only if you have some networking problems like:

- Internet or network problem after removing the adware, spyware, virus, worm, trojan horse, etc
- Loss network connection after installing/uninstalling adware, spyware, antispam, vpn, firewall or other networking programs
- Unable to access any webpage or can only access some webpages
- Pop-up error window with network related problem description
- No network connectivity due to registry errors
- DNS lookup problem
- Fail to renew the network adapter’s IP address or other DHCP errors
- Network connectivity issue with limited or no connections message
- Other networking problems

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

Just a little more specific:

I just ran v 7.2 of AdwCleaner and it found no threats or risks.  The product also displays this dialog box message:

You may optionally want to run a Basic Repair which will reset Winsock and other settings to their default values.

I am wondering, if no risks or threats were found in the scan, then running Basic Repair is not important.  IF AdwClear did find threats, and If I choose to let product clean them, then will/would this automatically include the "reset Winsock" with the Basic Repair?  Would the reset be needed if I chose to let product remove the threats?  How would I know what these default or current Winsock values are in any case, before and after?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

According to this manual: https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/guides/Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-User-Guide.pdf, AdwCleaner offers some set of optional REPAIR options and resetting Winsock is one of them.

As I said before, if there is nothing wrong with your network there is no need to run any repairs.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

Resetting winsock wont hurt, but as stated, why fix what aint broken?

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

According to this manual: https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/guides/Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-User-Guide.pdf, AdwCleaner offers some set of optional REPAIR options and resetting Winsock is one of them.

As I said before, if there is nothing wrong with your network there is no need to run any repairs.

Resetting winsock wont hurt, but as stated, why fix what aint broken?

I believe I am becoming or was becoming confused with the Cleaning process and the Basic Repair process.  You two seem to be clarifying that the Basic Repair is an OPTION; so as you say, running it is not needed when I choose to do any cleaning for threats/risks which AdwCleaner finds.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

There you go :)

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users