Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore to factory settings question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nwarde

nwarde

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

Hi all.

I wonder if someone could help me out, I want to restore my Notebook to factory settings but I have a question. Will I need to enter my Product ID when I do it? Is there anything else I will need? I bought the Toshiba Satelite Notebook (Windows 8.1 with Bing) at the end of 2013 from Currys PC World, so I can't remember what I did back then. For some reason in Dec 2017, I updated and it took away my Admin rights and now I'm "Owner" so I can't install or do anything other than browse online and listen to music.

Thanks.

Edited by nwarde, 22 June 2018 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

Will I need to enter my Product ID when I do it?

if you are talking about your windows product key the answer is no.....the product code is stored within your computer and will activate again automatically

#3 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Will I need to enter my Product ID when I do it?

if you are talking about your windows product key the answer is no.....the product code is stored within your computer and will activate again automatically

oh okay so a system restore won't need me to enter anything to get my Notebook back to its factory settings? Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

If I can remember correctly Windows 8.1 with Bing was a special OS which was given to OEMs with a zero cost. If the computer allows you to do a factory reset that would work but I doubt you could clean install and normal 8.1 Home OS. The key in your firmware is specific to Windows 8.1 with Bing.

The real difference of Windows 8.1 with Bing is that OEM manufacturers acquire the license at a very low price, that might even be entirely free. That is why the Windows 8.1 with Bing product key is incompatible with the Windows 8.1 Home ISO, and vice-versa.

https://www.pcsteps.com/210-download-windows-8-1/#How_to_download_Windows_81with_Bing

If by System Restore you mean using a Restore Point that would also work but for a clean install, using the Media Creation Tool would not work. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2018 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users