Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck USB

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChopstickBoi

ChopstickBoi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Can someone please help remove my usb out of my motherboard. When I try to move my USB out of the motherboard it is like sticking out 70%. I need to remove it because I want to upgrade my cpu and motherboard.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XKP7P4Q/ref=od_aui... is the mouse. Eagle Tec MG001. Thank you

2s79jzc.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

You may need tweak it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I don't know but form the picture it looks like the upper end is inserted deeper than the lower end, the one pointing towards the power supply. Don't armstrong it or you may damage the port itself. You can wrap duct tape around the jaws of the needle nose pliers to prevent damage to the dongle.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

And whatever you do, do not wiggle or rock the stuck item back and forth (other than, perhaps, just the tiniest bit if it is currently leaning as the picture suggests it might be).

I cannot tell you how many broken USB ports I have seen because people insist on wiggling things in and out of them, snapping off the thin plastic guide inside the port.  You push straight in and you pull straight out.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,803 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

one trick I've had to use in the past was to find a thin (thinner than a credit card) to insert on either or both sides to clear the connector that's hung up on the chassis.

#5 ChopstickBoi

ChopstickBoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

You may need tweak it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I don't know but form the picture it looks like the upper end is inserted deeper than the lower end, the one pointing towards the power supply. Don't armstrong it or you may damage the port itself. You can wrap duct tape around the jaws of the needle nose pliers to prevent damage to the dongle.

Do you have an example on how to do it? Like, show a picture. Thank you though for the help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

No, I don't have a picture on how do do it, sorry. I would try mjd420nova's idea first. Get some very thin plastic shims and place them between the metal of the USB dongle and the USB slot. If you look in an empty USB slot you will see a couple of prongs. The idea is to shim between the prongs and your dongle or whatever side is stuck. 

If you are not comfortable doing this a good shop should give you a quote. 

Can the dongle be pushed back into position or is it stuck as shown in the image? Pushing back in and removing straight out may work.

This video may help.

And this one.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Maybe a safety razor cut it in half so it fits either side. Or...try it one side at a time, maybe only one side is hanging, not both.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 ChopstickBoi

ChopstickBoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

No, I don't have a picture on how do do it, sorry. I would try mjd420nova's idea first. Get some very thin plastic shims and place them between the metal of the USB dongle and the USB slot. If you look in an empty USB slot you will see a couple of prongs. The idea is to shim between the prongs and your dongle or whatever side is stuck. 

If you are not comfortable doing this a good shop should give you a quote. 

Can the dongle be pushed back into position or is it stuck as shown in the image? Pushing back in and removing straight out may work.

This video may help.

And this one.

The dongle can be pushed back into position and do you know where I can find very thin plastic shims. Thanks for helping me out

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

If you have a hobby or crafts shop nearby they may have thin sheets of plastic. Also, Ebay sells collar stays but you need to purchase quite a few. You may need to cut to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=plastic+collar+stay&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

There are also certain plant ID stakes that are almost as thin as collar stays and easier to find in many locations.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

There are also certain plant ID stakes that are almost as thin as collar stays and easier to find in many locations.

I like that. You could find some of those at the local garden shop. Maybe even find some laying on the ground.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

I like that. You could find some of those at the local garden shop. Maybe even find some laying on the ground.

Come to my yard.  The collection is *huge*.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 ChopstickBoi

ChopstickBoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:24 AM

If you have a hobby or crafts shop nearby they may have thin sheets of plastic. Also, Ebay sells collar stays but you need to purchase quite a few. You may need to cut to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=plastic+collar+stay&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Thx guys for the help again i'll tell you if it worked or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users