Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uncorrectable out of paper condition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

I've got a Windows 7 system which I just patched to current after putting off for six months due to concerns about the Meltdown/Spectre patches. Since there had been multiple fixes of the fixes and the problems for others seemed to have subsided, I figured I had better get all those other patches and be as safe as possible. After the updates, there didn't seem to be any problems, but I don't print anything very often these days. Now I have found a problem. The printer driver thinks the printer is out of paper. It is not. Resetting a dozen different ways has made no difference. Manually stopping the print spooler, changing the settings on the printer driver, physically turning the printer off and on again. No effect. It's not the hardware. Rebooting my dual-boot system into Linux Mint, I can still print with this printer. It's Windows 7 that has the problem. There are plenty of threads from years ago about this problem. That's where the attempted solutions came from. None of them work.  Has anyone else had this experience with Windows 7 lately?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

uninstall, and re-install your printer software/drivers

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

That's one of the already tried solutions. Many times.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

When you uninstall a printer driver it does not necessarily remove the driver files. Uninstall the driver. Click Devices and Printers. Click on the Microsoft XPS printer. In the menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the Drivers tab look for anything regarding your printer. Click and select Remove. Reboot and Reinstall the driver.

Create a new user profile and see if that solves the problem.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

That's one of the already tried solutions. Many times.

go into the control panel and remove anything listed there referring to your printer....there could be 4-5 items....then reinstall

Edited by mikey11, 22 June 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#6 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

Nope, even removing all drivers from the server properties panel makes no difference.  Also deleted the parallel port in Device manager and reinstalled it.  Windows 7 just cannot print to parallel ports anymore. Fortunately, I found work around. I have an adapter cable that connects to a parallel port on the printer and then plugs into a USB port. Using that, the printer does work. So when I really need to print something, it's possible.

Edited by Alchemist, 22 June 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

It seems that the newer OS platforms have eliminated the parallel port all together.  The presence of a parallel port on your machine also indicates it is of an older vintage and may not fully support the OS updates.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

start with the obvious, do a printer self test and see if the printer will print or give you an error.  you need to verify the printer didn't just fail at the same time you did an update.

it happens more often then you think.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

The default source for paper is in Printer Preferences not in Properties and uninstalling does not usually change or delete the Preferences settings.  Paper Out; though, is a pin on a traditional Centronics Parallel port and it may or may not be ignored by the driver software which might explain why it works in Linux.

What is the make and model of the printer?

And the USB to parallel adapter?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#10 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

Well, this is really bizarre. I have started up my "backup" computer today, for updates in case it is needed. This is a hardware identical system with as close to indentical configuration as I can manage. You never know with Windows, of course. Maybe one of the "same" updates made a different choice in some internal setting. But anyway, this other computer can still print through the parallel port. I wonder if I could ever find the difference in config between the two machines?

Both of these are running Intel E8600 CPUs in MSI G41M-P43 motherboards. I bought the necessary extra parallel port connector for both so that I could use my old printers with them. Both had a recent re-install of Windows 7 (last November), which was backed up from one and restored to the other then reconfigured with sysprep /oobe. So they certainly started out identical. They have since had identical updates applied. Yet one can print to the parallel port and the other cannot. Where is the emoji for confusion?

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

As I said, did you check the Printer Preferences?  That is where the paper size and source tray are stored.

#12 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

Printer preferences are set to "automatic" or "first available" on both machines. Can't find any differences looking at menus. I'm wondering if a dive into the registry editor might turn up something. Or swapping the parallel port connectors? Hardware failures do occur once in a while. But I hate to think of trying to get a new connector at this late date.

Edited by Alchemist, 26 June 2018 - 04:58 PM.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

The DB25 connector rarely failed but the other end, the Centronics 36 pin slip and latch connector was terrible.  Always had to re-stress the pins.  

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

Far fetched but check the bios settings.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

If you have two of the USB to parallel adapters, yes, try swapping them between the two PCs.

What is the make and model of the printer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users