Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router keeps crashing only when laptop is connected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bjhoffman222

Bjhoffman222

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Dell Inspiron a few months ago, and previously never had issues with my internet. Since then, whenever I turn on my laptop my router will intermittently crash and reset. I have contacted Dell numerous times, installed updates, reset and reconnected to my wifi, and even sent my laptop back to Dell so they could reinstall the operating system and replace the wireless card. None of this has solved the problem. Some days the internet only goes off once or twice, but other days it seems to be constant. It is driving me crazy and can't seem to find the problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

So other wireless devices dont cause the same problem? Have you tried a wired connection from the problem laptop? A firmware update for the router maybe? Have you run the Windows network troubleshooter that will reset some settings for you like a ip conflict.  Laptop is malware free? Any p2p apps running?

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Bjhoffman222

Bjhoffman222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

Thank you for your reply! I have not tried a wired connection, but will definitely try that tomorrow and see if there are any available updates for the router. No other issues with other wireless devices, also no P2P. I have tried updating drivers, but would you recommend uninstalling and reinstalling them altogether?

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

uninstalling and reinstalling them altogether?

I would imagine since it went back to Dell they would have installed the latest drivers. You can try a uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Make sure your getting the network drivers specific to your model from the Dell support site. Laptops can use proprietary drivers.

#5 Bjhoffman222

Bjhoffman222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

I connected to my router and checked for any crash reports. While doing that I found there was a firmware update available and downloaded that. Since then I have had no issues so I'm hoping that is all it was! Thanks so much for the help!

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

do you run static or DHCP?  did you look at the logs in the router to see what's happening when the internet goes off?

#7 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

Good, you got it solved. I have manually assigned static ip's to my devices. 

I use a VPN service and have one (my main machine) client configured to go down if the VPN tunnel goes down.

So yes if I dont have a connection I log into the router to restart the connection on my machine. If that dosnt work or other devices are not working I reboot my machine, router and modem, If still down, then its ISP problems.

I really dont pay to much attention to the router logs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users