Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to locate files in Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DugganC

DugganC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

What I'm trying to do is backup files from my security camera system to this system. 

This computer is a Windows 7 system, I'll provide whatever other information is deemed necessary. 

The security computer is accessed remotely through browser - only work with Internet Explorer due to the activex installation (using IE11).

So this is where the problem comes in.

When I view local folders through the browser it shows me folders that I can not find when I go through Windows Explorer.

aorCbRW.png

The default folder above was C:\Users\SIAdmin\DVR\

qx2b5Tl.png

You can see it shows the DVR folder there with a folder automatically named after the IP address of the security box. I run into the same thing when I changed the folder location to the desktop as it shows in the current settings of the first image.

fN20nms.png

Same thing, on the desktop it creates that same folder.

But when I go in through Windows Explorer to view any of these file locations, they just simply are not there. When I look at my desktop, that folder is not there. On my desktop I see the folders "Brie" "RecordFiles" "Rob" and "Screens" but not the numbered folder.

I do not find the folders when I do a search for that folder name nor do I find any of the AVI backups when I search for those. The backups completed without error according to the browser download progress bar.

I did a SFC to verify structure, all is good. "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." upon completion.

I do already have it set to show hidden files.

I'm a bit flustered, sorry if I missed any other pertinent details. 

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2018 - 06:15 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

In your first image it looks like the record path is on the root of C: and the backup in in the SIAdmin in the Users directory. Nothing is in the DVR folder in the root of C:?

Download Everything. Right click the exe and select Run as Administrator. In the search box type *.avi

https://www.voidtools.com/

You can also search the folder name. Right click anything found and select Open Path.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2018 - 06:21 PM.

#3 DugganC

DugganC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:47 PM

That record path is for if I go in and click 'record' while viewing the stream, not related to the backup location which is the backup path. But I did check there yesterday and was nothing there (nothing there in the results of your program either).

Interesting, though. It looks like it's downloading them to a deep folder structure in the temp internet files -- I had cleared the caches and everything yesterday too when I was trying to troubleshoot whether or not it was the case that it was going to a temp folder ... Well, that explains that ... The files are "there" .. I'll have to play around with it further from here and figure out if it's possible to get it to download to proper folders --- I'm imaging the activex controls are probably partially to blame in some manner.

Thanks for that, neat little program.

DX7zvEe.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

Your Welcome.  :)

#5 Ghostwalker

Ghostwalker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:24 AM

I've occasionally ran across and issue where the Registry is not pointing to the correct folders.

Take a look here and see if anything is out of place:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\

Attached File  user_shell_folders.png   255.81KB   0 downloads

You could have a corrupt User Profile

Might want to try this in a fresh Administrator Profile

Hope this helps

#6 deancollins

deancollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Internet Explorer is completely outdated browser, don't recommend to use it, since it has many bugs and works slowly.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Internet Explorer is completely outdated browser, don't recommend to use it, since it has many bugs and works slowly.

Maybe so, however, there are some web sites that force the usage of IE because of their respective scripting and coding.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users