Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary profile issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kykk

Kykk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

Hi. Yesterday my gf started up my ASUS laptop and it was slow to start. At Desktop all folders were missing and a message saying it was logged in as a temporary user and to log out and log in again to fix this. After doing so, same thing happened. After googling the issue I've done the following:

*Logged in as administrator

*Deleted the temporary user/renamed the .bak file in the registry

*Performed SFC Scan

*Downloaded and run Microsoft safety scanner

*Tried to do a system restore; two available restore points (with and without AV, Bitdefender Free version, active). The system restore failed each time.

Attached File  systemrestore.jpg   51.23KB   0 downloads

I've now come to a point where I can find no more help by googling. My files aren't lost, I can access them from the Administrator profile of course, but I'm worried if I create a new profile it wont fix anything.

Would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kykk, 21 June 2018 - 06:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

I would recommend creating a new profile and copying over your user files. If all is good then you can delete the old user.

Copy files to the new user profile
After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.
1. Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files Open File Explorer
2. Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives. 
3. Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box
4. Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
5. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
• Ntuser.dat
6. Ntuser.dat.log
7. Ntuser.ini
8. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.
9. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
10. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.
11. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

If you have e mail messages in an email program, you must import your email messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users