Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer often runs quite slow.. 100% disk usage.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Hey! So I just wanted to make a thread asking if there's any simple ways I can fix this..

Every so often, my computer gets really slow--everything slows down. And almost every time, I notice my disk usage is at a full 100%. It's really annoying, is there anything I can do to fix this? It's kind of a consistent issue that occurs every so often..

I have an i5 processor, a GTX 950 graphics card, 8 GB's of memory, all the components are reasonably good!

And the OS, of course, is Windows 10. :P

Any advice here would be appreciated, and if I'm lacking in any hardware details please just request that and I'll try to provide that for you.

Thanks! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

#3 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Thanks Mason. I tried some of the stuff in there but the computer is still pretty slow.. It hasn't been this bad in quite awhile. Disk remains at 100%.

any other advice? besides videos?? Thanks :)

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

There are at least 10 or more things to try listed in that video. You need to find the process responsible for the disk usage. Use your resource manager and disabling one service at a time like the video talked about, until you find the guilty service or process. In that video...one of the first steps is perform a "clean" boot. Shutting down all non-essential services and checking the drive to see if it still says 100% usage, if it does, then it's a Windows service causing it, if it doesnt then it is a third party program. 

Edited by Mason21, 21 June 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#5 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:52 PM

Alright, will do. Thanks c:

#6 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

Well, this problem still persists regularly, I don't know what to do..

Something that's confusing is when ever I check the task manager and see what's taking up the most memory, it's typically always something different.

I try to shut down everything that's in red, but it usually says "access denied." I really don't know how I could possibly fix this stupid issue, sounds like it's OS related.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated, these videos just aren't helping me much :/

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hi, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy ALL the below cmd and right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window, select paste, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with data, save this to desktop (call it Info.txt) and use the "More reply options" at the bottom of the thread to attach the file here.

NOTE:- do this when you see disk usage high.

Edited by jenae, 18 July 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#8 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Thanks, jenae! Here is the file below:

And this problem ultimately persists.. I just turned my computer on and the disk was at 99%, and still is.

So it's probably something pretty obvious that I can't figure out :/

Attached Files

• Attached File  Info.txt   41.36KB   5 downloads

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

Hi, you do not have the latest version of windows, Is there any reason for this? MS now provide "Windows as a Service", and third party developers (Intel, for example), respond to this, with updates to their software (Firmware). If you are running a non current system and receiving updates for processes that cannot be found, the CPU will continue working in vain.

Nothing obviously shows in your system, a clean boot is a good way at this stage to diagnose any problems, although updating to v1803 would be my first advice.

#10 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

Thank you for the reply, janae! That's odd, I thought for sure the OS was updated to it's latest...when I go to shut down the computer, there's no option to update it before shutting down.

If you could explain to me where I'd go to update it, that'd be awesome!

Thank you :)

#11 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

Here is where you can go get the newest update. Media Creation tool  Click on "Update Now" 

Edited by Mason21, 21 July 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#12 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Thank you!

#13 t3dus

t3dus

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

We have several computers at work that have had this issue. I found majority of the time Anti-virus software was hogging up the resources. Namely Kaspersky at my place of business.

How I solved this is to either disable anti-virus to see if it calms down or simply replacing the pcs with spinning disks with SSD. That made it faster.

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

Hi t3dusIf, if you read the txt attached to previous posts you would have noticed that the OP had windows defender only, as their AV. You really should pay more attention to the world of IT. kaspersky is a troll and is removed from all western gov'mt computers, it's definitions are extremely poor and windows defender is vastly superior. To fix your update problem you must uninstall kaspersky using their uninstaller to do it.

#15 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

Kaspersky uninstall tool can be downloaded at https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5389-kaspersky-antivirus-uninstaller.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users