Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No results found for 'maxtor' - Legacy USB 1 & 3 touch gone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

So my dad died, and that got me thinking to check backups from both of us on external maxtor drives. I have a onetouch 3 (500GB) that only clicks ( dead drive) and a onetouch 1TB that can't be found in an HP laptop running win 7 nor an HP envy 23 with win 8.1. Any suggestions?

No free support from Seagate who bought Maxtor, and starting $$$ to get them to talk is $15, and I suspect that is just to upsell you to send drives to them.

Going forward, WHICH is the best storage option?  cloned drives every year or cloud that you hope never goes away?

Many thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2018 - 03:50 PM.
Moved from ExHardware to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Pull the drive from the enclosure and use a USB adapter. That may get the drive detected. It may be the USB bridge card or it could be the power cable. Have you tried a new USB cable on the drive? Maxtor hasn't been around for ages. That 1TB must have cost a pretty penny.

Personally, unless you have a super fast internet connection, I would stick with an external drive. But, I don't clone the drive as a backup. I create multiple images on a single USB external drive. Normally you clone a drive only if going from a smaller to larger drive or going from a HDD to a SSD.

Found a video on disassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wBOMVkeeMo

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#3 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Pull the drive from the enclosure and use a USB adapter. That may get the drive detected. It may be the USB bridge card or it could be the power cable. Have you tried a new USB cable on the drive? Maxtor hasn't been around for ages. That 1TB must have cost a pretty penny.

Personally, unless you have a super fast internet connection, I would stick with an external drive. But, I don't clone the drive as a backup. I create multiple images on a single USB external drive. Normally you clone a drive only if going from a smaller to larger drive or going from a HDD to a SSD.

Found a video on disassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wBOMVkeeMo

Thanks, JohnC_21, I'll pop both. The 1TB was less than $150 from  Walmart I think. I have 2 different chassis to use and a newish thermaltake dual dock. How often do you move your backups to newer drives?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

Firstly, sorry your dad died. Condolences. 

I don't move backups to newer drives. I have one drive that holds multiple disk images of different computers. Since the drive is seldom filled to capacity I can easily put multiple images of different computers on one drive. The timing of the disk image backups depends on updates and programs installed. If a drive should fail, I install a new bare drive, boot the rescue CD or USB the imaging program provides, and restore the disk image from the external to the new drive.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

And, I recommend having two USB boots and/or two CD / DVD boots -- in case one of the two boots fail (just one example - a usb flash drive logical failure forcing a usb flash drive format), the other will probably work just fine.  And, I have had a CD / DVD boot disk not boot, forcing me to use a USB boot, and vice-versa.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users