Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Notebook - Stuck at recovery repai screen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mysons

Mysons

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

Hello,

Helping a friend with his laptop that wont boot in Windows - It keeps going into recover mode - stuck at Repair Screen

Left over night and even two days at the same screen - wont move past that screen - its obviously broken somewhere

Boot strap and all - HP Notebook - X6yV86UAxxxxx - system board PFDXI4xxx

This HP Notebook laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD device attached - I went out and bought an external CD/DVD device so I can at least reinstall Windows - Here is my dilemma... Boot section - I believe it's disabled -

I have a USB with Windows 10 installed and a DVD with Widows 10 OS  - NONE would work on this laptop

Even after I changed the Boot sequence from USB to DVD or other way or one or the other -  I would hate to remove the HD

It looks too complicated and sensitive :) -

Laptop is almost 2 years old - warranty - expired -

How can I get to reinstall Windows using a USB or External DVD device - Both has been tested on my laptop and both were bootable from either one -

I have a screen shot of the Bios setting and system if needed I can provide by msg Id  - or attach to this post

Thanks

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

Does tapping Esc at boot give you a function key list. Select Boot menu with the USB flash drive attached then select the USB? I am assuming the USB of Windows 10 boots fine on another computer, correct?

Tapping Esc will also show an option to do a complete System Diagnostic.

Edit: Is there any personal data that needs to be pulled from the drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#3 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hell JohnC_21

​

​YESS ! Thank-you that worked excellent - I want to use the USB as a bootable device if it fails, I turn to DVD  - 

​ I misplaced a few of my Windows Install and now have to rely on downloading Windows 7 ISO SP1 from Windows

​I have an ISO image ready - Need to put it on a USB to be able to boot from USB - I can't recall how we do that successfully

​

​Otherwise, I will burn Windows ISO to a DVD - I have a registered Keys for Windows 7 Pro - 

​

​I remember I can use Xcopy from CMD - I just compressed iso into a folder using WINRAR - I have the Windows Folder - 

​

​How do I Xcpy that to my USB so it loads as an OS. 

​

​

​Mucha appreciated 

​

​Mat

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Use Rufus with the iso of Windows 7 to create a bootable USB flash drive. Depending  on whether you have UEFI firmware or older Legacy BIOS firmware select GPT or MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. In the dropdown box that may show FreeDos select iso image and click the icon. Browse to the iso of Windows 7. Press Start. If this is a later model computer then I would have to assume the disk is GPT and not MBR but I can't be sure. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

See this post for isos of Windows 7.

Do you need data off the hard drive? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#5 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks again, that worked out perfect - however, I came across some possible major issue - USB and DVD I created here are good

as I tested both on my own laptop - Was able to get to the image screen to choose a language and on to install -

When I tried either one on boot devices on my friend's laptop - It keeps failing with an error that says... a recent hardware of software prevented

to install - load/insert  a windows CD..... I still can't re-install Windows on the HP Notebook - I believe it might related to the a bad HD or the way it boots in Bios - I have pix of the setting in Bios if need -

Thanks

#6 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Can I attach the bios settings here. I believe i might have the wrong settings in Boot management 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

You can attach an image if you like. 

a recent hardware of software prevented to install - load/insert  a windows CD

This error was appeared just after the language screen?

FYI: Tapping F11 at boot will allow you to do a factory reset on the HP computer if the recovery partition is intact.

#8 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

OK, tried to Tapping F11 at boot - Stuck at HP logo screen with a Please wait.... Been like this for a while..

Would like to add imagines - How to add to this post -  Would like to re-install Windows in this HP Notebook laptop 

Thanks

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

Click more reply options next to the post button. You can attach an image. What OS originally came with the computer. If the computer is only two years old I would imagine it's Windows 8 or 8.1.

#10 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:26 PM

Windows 10 OS - Image attached 

Thanks

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

I see no image. If you plan on installing Windows 7 then finding drivers for the computer may be problematic. That may be why you are receiving the error.  I would highly recommend you do a clean install of Windows 10 and stay with 10.

See the BC guide on doing a clean install.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Because the computer came preinstalled with Windows 10 you would be using the diskpart convert GPT command as shown in the guide. 

#12 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

Posted images - Windows 10 Iso download 64bit - Fresh install it is - no important data - format if needed - 

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Follow the guide. When you get to the screen that shows language press the Shift + F10 keys to open a command prompt. Follow the diskpart commands in the guide. Use the convert gpt command after the clean command. When you get to the screen where it asks for upgrade or custom select custom. At the next screen it will show your unallocated hard drive. Click next to continue the install. 

Your computer is UEFI so the convert GPT command is required. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#14 Mysons

Mysons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Thank-You!!  JohnC_21  

I will follow the guide and post results one the weekend

Much appreciated for your support and guides.

God Bless 

Matt

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

You're Welcome

Fingers Crossed. If you follow the BC guide Brian wrote I'm confident things will go smoothly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users