Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update old laptop 1709 -> 1803

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hello.

I am having big trouble trying to update an old Acer laptop (2GB RAM) which works perfectly fine under w10 v1709

If I run the setup.exe from installation media, I got an error on the boot phase.

I deleted all partitions and tried to install it clean. I get a IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error when media starts booting. I have tried from both a usb stick and from dvd. Same results. Same BSOD.

The only thing left to try is letting wu download it but I have the feeling it is going to fail too.

Any ideas. For me v1803 is the worst w10 version released ever.

Meanwhile I am trying to streamline the latest cummulative update (17134.112) into an ISO to try it.

PS - I forgot to add that I have tried removing some drivers, setting vga to standard microsoft adaptor before installing but to no avail. I have also checked system with sfc /scannow and dism and there were no errors.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 21 June 2018 - 09:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

All you need in your PC is:
  • Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC.
  • RAM: 1GB for 32-bit or 2GB for 64-bit.
  • Hard disk space: 16GB for 32-bit OS or 20GB for 64-bit OS.
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
  • Display: 800x600.

#3 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Free space is:

Partition 1 (system): more than 20GB free

Partition 2 (data): +20GB free

RAM: 2GB. x86 OS

VGA is old: Radeon X700 (but currently working - tried with ms standard adapter too).

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

Have you checked your hard drive for errors?  I would check it before trying anything else. Here is how to do it.  Type CMD in the search box...wait until the blue area lights up above that says "Command Prompt" right click on the blue area, select "run as administrator" click "yes"  type :  chkdsk  c: /f    (in the command prompt box and hit enter)(it will check the drive on reboot)  ... Let it check the drive for errors and see what it says. 

Edited by Mason21, 21 June 2018 - 05:52 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

@Mason21 #4

There is a misprint or a typo in your instructions - it should be type:- chkdsk /f

It is probably better to run chkdsk with the /r switch, so type :- chkdsk /r, and note that it will then come up and say something like "Cannot run on disk in use. Run at next start-up  -  Y/N". At this point type the letter 'Y' and re-boot the computer. Chkdsk will then run at start-up.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Chris....corrected it.  I usually run chkdsk /f  /r but didn't want to tell the person to do that without telling him to do backups before trying.

Edited by Mason21, 21 June 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#7 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:10 AM

HDD seems to be just fine. Right now it is installing 1803 from WU. I guess it will fail too, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Someone advised me to look for a BIOS update. Laptop model is ACER Aspire 1694LMi. The only support found was a BIOS update for model 1690 (I don't know if this is just the family) for its Radeon X700 graphic card. I could try it. Or, if all else fails, just keep v1709 which works perfectly fine.

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

It sounds like a driver is causing it to fail. I recommend following the steps in the following link for best results. If it still fails let me know and we can troubleshoot some more. 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-computer-windows-10-creators-update-version-1703/ 

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#9 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:55 AM

Unfortunately I wasn't able to install v1803 no matter how I tried. And I have installed and run it succesfully on an even older laptop. I returned the laptop to customer. Running v1709 just fine.

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I understand. You are not alone, there are lots of people having similar issues. 

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users