Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Blue Screens & Crashes - after Downloading "Driver Booster 5.4" off CNET

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:38 AM

I'm on my backup computer now.  I was having trouble with accessing my SD cards.  People here said the card could be corrupted, but I don't think several of them can be corrupted.  I looked on youtube and google for talk about my problem, and a youtube video recommended an app called "Driver Booster 5.4" listed on CNET.  It has 10's of millions of downloads, and the youtube reviews for this fix were positive (the youtube channel mod can filter bad review comments though).  

THEN BOOOOOM!

That was it for the computer.  

After installing the app, all of my monitors were all screwed up, my programs were not on anymore except for my browser, and the SD card reading problem was not fixed either.  The app told me I need to pay up $25 to get the rest of the drivers updated.  

What a scam, right?  

I uninstalled this DB app, and I did a system restore to the point right before it was downloaded.  

I noticed that the DB app was saying it was making a "system restore point" as it was downloading, and it was taking much longer to download the simplest apps there are. 

I suspect that it was downloading scam code not driver updates, and this is like those security scams where something pops up on your screen, and it tells that it scanned your computer, and your computer is infected, so pay up for the fix.  

CURRENT SITUATION:

I tried resetting my computer to get all of my monitors working again, and it keeps crashing to the blue screen.  

I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 10. 

I need to make that visible.  I hope caps-lock-impact is not critical.  

Windows is saying that it initiates "Automatic Repair," and then it says that it failed.  It then offers me to choose some options such as saving all of my files, and then wiping the system down to re-install Windows 10.  

I WOULD LIKE TO CLEAN INSTALL WINDOWS 10, BUT I WANT TO EITHER GET A LIST OF ALL OF MY APPS I HAVE FIRST.  Is that possible?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:53 AM

If that looks too long to read, I'll just ask...

...how to I pull everything off such as apps and files, or at least how do I pull a list of all of the apps as I think the apps will be wiped if I do a clean install of W10?  

If anyone can talk about what it is that is going on with this whole situation, that's be great.  

Thanks

#3 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

If you can boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
Download and run this tool in Safe Mode.

Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.
attachlogs.png

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.
Click Attach this file.
Click the Add reply button.
===

Please post the logs for my review.

Wait for further instructions.

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

Thanks.  I'll try this ASAP.  

I was thinking about pulling out the HDD, porting it to my laptop, downloading Windows 10 on it or a Linux OS onto it, putting it back in, and booting that way.  Then go throughout to put all of my apps and files on the HDD, and do a clean restore of Windows 10.

This HDD is a big one that I have in there for redundant things.  I keep the OS and apps on the SSD.  

I figured out how to boot from the HDD, but I don't have an OS on it yet.  

The thing is I don't know how to get into safe mode on that computer.  I have an AS Rock mobo, and I don't see any options for safe mode.  If someone can tell me about that, that would be great.  

#5 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,578 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

Hi,

Try these instructions to get to Safe Mode.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

The fx key may be different on your computer depending on the Model and Manufacturer.

Check the Manufacturer's web site if having no luck with the tutorial.

You also have these options.
Recovery options in Windows 10
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Edited by nasdaq, 22 June 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

These instructions were better for getting onto safe mode when the computer won't boot.  I used to be simple because the computer just said, "Safemode, Dude?"  Now there's a series of options like a mission command center, BUT it can all be learned.  Hehe.  

#7 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

The way in the video above did not work.  It just crashed again.

The app, Boost Driver, was a bomb.  This problem started when I downloaded it, and then removed it.  I believe it removed my licenses or something like that. 

I need help trying another route.  

I don't know which version of Windows 10 is on my PC, but I bought it with it on there.  

And it's kind of simple.  I have two hard drives and a laptop with a USB adapter to plug into the hard drives (HDD and SSD).  

So what is the easiest way to do this?  Download W10 onto the drive with the last version of W10 on it, so that it replaces it or REPAIRS it, or...

...download a new copy of W10 on either driver, and boot up through it with the new W10.  

I am falling way behind on my work.  Please help.  Thank you.  Much appreciated.  

#8 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,578 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

Hi,

If you can get to the Powershell you may be able to get a list of all your apps.
https://www.wintips.org/view-installed-apps-and-packages-in-windows-10-8-1-8-from-powershell/

===

Open the PowerShell
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-powershell-prompt-in-windows-10

At the Prompt type SFC.EXE /Scannow

Let it finish.
All drivers will be reset to the Windows default.
You should then be able to see you Monitors.

----

If all fails I can only suggest you start a new topic in the Windows 10 Forum.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/229/windows-10-support/

An expert with that Operating system will be able to help you better than I can.

I will leave this topic open should you need to return please do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users