Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new GPU and Processor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sipspoison

sipspoison

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

I recently upgrade my GPU to a GeForce 1060 6GB and a new AMD FX-8370 Eight Core Processor. Everything works great except when I play a game on my VR Vive Headset, Normally the games are more harsh on the system. Usually I can play a game with no issue for hours, no stutter or lag. Recently though I have been experiencing a drop in performance for only a second or two then goes back to normal. After a few minutes I'll notice my GPU and CPU on my task manager dip where my speed goes down to about 1.3GHz but then shortly after(a few seconds) it goes back to normal which is 4.1GHz. Basically all I want to know is am I on the right track to figuring out my problem by getting better air cooling to my PC and changing the power supply? I have been trying everything I can personally think of to try and fix the drops in the GPU/CPU, Ill add a list after the pictures showing all my Temps and Specs below.

**MY PROBLEM IS RIGHT HERE**

you can see on the graph for the CPU the dip in the GHz and it reduces to about 1.3 GHz. This is why I'm guessing a heat throttle or a PSU Issue but I don't know enough personally to be sure, hence why I'm here >.<

gpu%20dip.png

gpu%20dip3.png

gpu%20dip4.png

gpu%20dip2.png

gpu%20dip5.png

The Things below are the steps i tried to get to fix the issue:
-I tried to reseat my Wraith Cooler onto the new Processor with new Thermal Grease(applied correctly, light coat)
-Ran multiple checks for any malware, spyware or bloatware that could be causing the decrease in performance, found nothing but cleared everything I could
-Checked the versions of my latest Windows update, hardware drivers and software updates. everything seems up to date
-I ordered 2 new fans and a fan that will clip over my memory sticks and a new 750W EVGA Power Supply to try and fix this issue(about $180)

PC(not the best I know but I'm working with what I have):
  CybertronPC TGMRHD950X816BU Rhodium 950 X8 Gaming Desktop - AMD FX-8300 3.30GHz Octa-Core Processor, 16GB DDR3 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB GDDR5) Graphics, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Win 10 Home,64-Bit

Upgraded Parts:
  ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-O6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
  AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith Cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8370FRHKHBX Desktop Processor
**(4)total 32GB** PNY DDR3 8GB XLR8 RAM STICK 1600MHz 8gbh2x04e99927-15-H

Parts Ordered on the way:

**(2)**ARCTIC F9 Silent - Ultra-Quiet 92 mm Case Fan | Silent Cooler with Standard Case I almost inaudible | Push- or Pull Configuration possible 

Corsair Vengeance Airflow Memory Cooling Fan CMYAF

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-0750-X1

Edited by sipspoison, 20 June 2018 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:25 PM

Hrm how much did you pay for your CPU?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 sipspoison

sipspoison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hrm how much did you pay for your CPU?

If I remember correctly I paid about $650 for the prebuilt rig, about $800 for all the upgrades and just paid $180 for the new things on the way

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:52 AM

Very probable reason is that motherboard only supports 95W CPU's and FX-8370 is 125W. That causes CPU to lower frequency on certain times. Can you take picture from motherboard itself?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:48 AM

M5A78L-M-PLUS-USB3 specification page says:

"Supports CPU up to 125 W"

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/M5A78L-M-PLUS-USB3/specifications/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

Ouch, tried to locate motherboard mode but forgot to look at pictures :bubbles:

Let's see then if new cooler helps.

#7 sipspoison

sipspoison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

I just hope the extra 3 fans and a new 750W power supply will fix this issue, my guess is when the graphics card starts to heat up and work harder it doesnt have enough watts to power everything else successfully at full speeds so it reduces, this is just a guess and for all I know computers dont act the way Im describing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users