Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Bounce Emails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fireflies2323

Fireflies2323

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

bounce-md_30132826.5b296282.v1-047cefbe2165430c905f4789f63cadda@mandrillapp.com

bounce+e245f0.80009c-eslteacher4u=tutanota.com@vipkid.net

I don't understand why I get these emails with bounce on them...it looks like they are not even coming from the original sender displayed...>>>>>>>???????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

Try changing your email password and see if they stopped.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

Yes change password..
Also

“Bounces” that contain viruses
Spammers try to infect your computer by sending fake bounce messages which contain an attachment and advise you to open for full details. NEVER open the attachment, as this will more than likely be a virus. All legitimate bounce messages will be contained in the email and have an attachment. Delete any suspicious looking bounce backs straight away.

You may also be getting bounce messages for email you didn’t send. There’s another class of virus that spoofs or fakes the “from” address on emails, and as a result you could be getting bounce messages that have nothing to do with you.

https://www.bignames.co.uk/client/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=38

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,154 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

I cannot count the number of "weird bounce messages" I have received over the years when my e-mail address (and mine or anyone else's is easily culled out there in cyberspace if it's existed for anything other than a very short time) has been used to spoof.  Those fall into the second category of the quoted passage from boopme.

I also used to make it a standard practice to send a message to anyone in my contacts where I received what was clearly a spoofed e-mail message that used their address.  I stopped doing that quite a while back, because it's just too common, and it means absolutely nothing about the security of your e-mail account.

It never hurts to change your password, but in all likelihood it will make no difference whatsoever if these bounce messages are the result of your address being used as part of a spoofing attempt where the "spoof-ee" address did not exist.

Also, while I always tell everyone to delete messages that come from unknown sources, the chances of successfully infecting anyone using e-mail as the vector is close to zero these days provided the recipient does not click on links that might be contained in same.  Most e-mail service providers scan for viruses and, given the way most antivirus and security suite software works, your messages get "scanned and canned" during the download phase if they, or any attachments to them, are determined to contain a virus.   E-mail long ago ceased to be an effective vector for infection, and people need to be educated as to why that is.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users