Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need direct ethernet line from PC to TV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 execpro22

execpro22

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

Ladies and Gentleman,

I have an issue where I have a ethernet cable plugged directly into my PC from the wall. My issue is I have a tv on the other side of the room that I would like to have an ethernet cable plugged into to use for my steam link among other things. 

I know the steam link does work wirelessly but the signal sucks so I would like a ethernet line directly plugged in. The router is in a completely different room. 

I am just wondering how I can get the line plugged into my pc and also have a line plugged into my tv at the same time. some type of splitter perhaps? Please let me know. Thanks.

-Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:42 AM

use a switch to split the signal from the router

a random example......

https://www.staples.ca/en/D-Link-DGS-105-5-Port-Gigabit-Switch/product_744169_1-CA_1_20001

#3 null__

null__

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

To build upon what mikey said, you'll plug the existing cable from the wall into the switch (doesn't matter which port), and then add two cables with one going to your computer and the other going to the TV.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

I have coax ethernet cable1 from wall...running to splitter...splitter sends two signals, one to TV and one to my desktop computer TV capture card. Example.

I have two coax line inputs.

For networking, I just run a wire (cable 2) from the cable modem to router...connect all systems via router for networking purposes.

Louis

#5 execpro22

execpro22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

To build upon what mikey said, you'll plug the existing cable from the wall into the switch (doesn't matter which port), and then add two cables with one going to your computer and the other going to the

Thanks alot! I will get one of these immediately

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

you can do a xover cable and go straight from the tv to the computer.

you have to setup the network adapters manually with ip information so they are on the same network on both devices.  then you use internet sharing on the pc to share the wifi or ethernet (pc with 2 ethernet  cards) to that port.

it works but it's harder to do.

Edited by mightywiz, 26 June 2018 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users