Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10, cannot print to PDF

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rxorcist

rxorcist

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

I'm on 17134 and a legit windows on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Used to be on Insiders but now I'm just on the public build. I used to be able to, but now I can't print to PDF anywhere- it just keeps giving me errors. I've followed a bunch of online help articles with stopping and restarting the printer spool service, removing the print to PDF printer and re-adding it, and the troubleshooter. I was able to remove the printer, but I can't re-add it; when I click add printer, (printer not listed -->add a local printer --> existing port (PORTPROMPT) -->Microsoft, Print to PDF isn't even an option here. I've turned it off under "Turn Windows Features on or off" but I can't turn it back on. I get error 0x800f0922. I've also tried installing CutePDF but it also gives me errors. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

In the dropdown list is there a PDF(local port) listed under existing port?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/microsoft-print-to-pdf-option-is-removed-and-how/4fb66dfa-5345-465b-bd80-577050146475

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

The following is not a fix, but a workaround (and one that I prefer to using the built-in MS function):  using a 3rd party PDF virtual printer.

In my case, it's PDFCreator.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

OP says he already tried CutePDF (third party virtual printer) to no avail...

And now that we are talking about this: Which are those CutePDF errors?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

Just because one is failing doesn't mean that another won't work.

That being said, more information regarding the exact error messages received from CutePDF could certainly help to try to figure out the root cause.

As a generic recommendation when built-in functions don't work/disappear, I suggest the following as a first thing to try:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

(Don't ask me why I didn't include this earlier, even I don't know the answer to that question.)

Edited by britechguy, 20 June 2018 - 10:17 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

What error are you getting with CUTEPDF. Did you install both CUTEPDF packages as their the installer and a addon you need to download and install separately for that to work.

#7 rxorcist

rxorcist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:07 PM

There is no PDF (local port) option on the drop down menu. There is a suspicious "nul: (Local port) option.

What error are you getting with CUTEPDF. Did you install both CUTEPDF packages as their the installer and a addon you need to download and install separately for that to work.

I installed both the package and the addon. It just says "an error occured while printing."

"An error occured while printing"

Just because one is failing doesn't mean that another won't work.

That being said, more information regarding the exact error messages received from CutePDF could certainly help to try to figure out the root cause.

As a generic recommendation when built-in functions don't work/disappear, I suggest the following as a first thing to try:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

(Don't ask me why I didn't include this earlier, even I don't know the answer to that question.)

I've ran DISM and SFC before posting here, both unsuccessfully, hence me coming here :/

Sorry for all the quotes, just wanted to hopefully make sure you get notifications that I replied. Not sure how that works.

Edit: Tried PDF Creator as well. Same exact error, "An error occurred while printing."

Edited by rxorcist, 20 June 2018 - 09:57 PM.

#8 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:08 AM

So both SFC and DISM gave you errors, right? It seems something might be pretty broken for your OS installation. Do you have any full backups or something?

When was the last time when you were able to print, prior to 17134?

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:49 AM

What exactly are you trying to print ?

I have the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.

I tested printing to pdf from an unsaved Notepad file.

It worked---

pdf.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users