Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen flickers white

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vargint

vargint

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

I have an Asus U36S notebook.  Wasn't sure where to post this, since technically the monitor is sort of internal in a laptop.

Here is a short video showing the problem: https://youtu.be/tyajZgXaWeY

The display flickers white, from just large horizontal sections to the whole screen, so it's impossible to see anything else.

When displaying something dark it flickers more, then light.  I don't think I did a good job showing this on the video.

Changing the angle of the display on it's hinge can help, or make it worse.  Though I can usually find the "sweet spot of the day" it takes a bit of fiddling.

What can I do to get this fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

3 things possible here:

1. internally the connector is loose where it plugs into the motherboard

2. the wires going up to the screen are broke usually withing an inch of the hinge

3. the screen is bad.

#3 vargint

vargint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

Hard to believe that the problem is the screen itself.  Kind of weird that the issue would also depend on the content displayed sometimes.

Been a while since I cleaned the dust off the fan inside, so I'll pop it open sometime soon.  Will try to ensure that the monitor is connected properly.  

I don't know about changing the wire though, or if changing the display would be worth it.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

well you can verify if it's the motherboard on board GPU chip or not by plugging a monitor in the external video port if it has one.  if you see the similar defect on the external screen then you know it's the motherboard gpu chip.   if the external monitor is good then it's gonna be one of the three things i mentioned before.   cable are easy to diagnose, you have to take the laptop deck off and the bezel around the monitor and start poking at the wires around the hinge are and see if you can recreate or fix the issue.  but make sure you check that the cable is seated into the motherboard connector firmly.

#5 vargint

vargint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Ok, I think I understand.

I found a good disassembly guide online. 

https://www.how-fixit.com/laptop-repair-guides/asus-laptop/asus-u36/

The last 2 sections are most relevant for this.

It looks like the set of cables on the left are the ones connected to the motherboard, and the ones on the right are more of a ground???  Or do I poke around both sets?  i make sure that the LVDS cable and CMOS cable have a firm connection?

The only replaced the fan before on this, so want to make sure I do it right the first time.  

Are the cables easy to replace if that's the problem?

Edited by vargint, 21 June 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

they are easy just a bit of laying them in the correct path when replacing them.  take pictures first before you remove the cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users