Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My motherboard might be dead and I need help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NautixStudio

NautixStudio

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:36 AM

Hello!! I recently posted a topic, you can read it for a full detail if you like Im sure it can be found on my profile.

Well Ive had these components for 2+ years. Ran them over a year on air cooling without a single problem whatsoever.
Then I build an amazing hard tubed custom water cooling system with a nice modded case. (First one)
Get it all up and running, ran it on old windows for like 2-3 weeks then fresh install and then it ran smoothly for like 2-3 months.
Then it just died, in the middle of a game session. Well so I started it and played for 2-3 hours then it happened again. Sometimes it didnt even boot until it died. But I got it up again and I played for maybe 1,5-2h and again dead. And every time I did this the amount of time before it died again went shorter and shorter.

Well well i troubleshot everything I could think of, ram, had the cpu checked, checked all the temps. Ran it with either one of my 2 gpus and with out them both. Ran it with out ram. Also I have 2 motherboards of the same because i panic ordered the last one that shipped to Sweden on amazon...

Well well. I did try the system on the new motherboard and I got the same result. So I stopped right away.
Now yesterday I tried the (faulty) motherboard without anything at all other than ofc PSU. Same thing happens.
Then I ran the new motherboard same way but it didnt die. Ran for some hours. Without ram,cpu and gpu ofc. So this has to mean its the motherboard? Or might it be bad ram thats caused the faulty motherboard to become faulty and thats why I got the same results with the components installed on the new motherboard?

Pla help :S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:34 AM

Perhaps the power supply is failing although no mention of testing system using a known good power supply.

Edited by The-Toolman, 20 June 2018 - 05:35 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 NautixStudio

NautixStudio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:10 AM

Perhaps the power supply is failing although no mention of testing system using a known good power supply.

Hello! Yes ofc forgot to mention that! Ive tried my own AX1500I PSU which I had little belief actually would fail me, but Ive tried 2 others one of which I am completely certain works. But its weird because the new motherboard works without anything other then power plugged in :/

My systemspecs are as follows fyi.

Cpu: Intel I7 6900K
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 8 sticks.
Gpu1: GTX 1080Ti FE
Gpu2: GTX 1080Ti FE
PSU: Corsair AX1500I
Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

You are going to at least have to have a processor and a stick of ram installed to be able to test your motherboard and with those installed power up and see what happens and then work from there adding one component at a time.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

You should really stick to your original thread to avoid confusion.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/679293/computer-shuts-off-after-startuprunning-for-some-time/

Edited by The-Toolman, 20 June 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#6 NautixStudio

NautixStudio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

You are going to at least have to have a processor and a stick of ram installed to be able to test your motherboard and with those installed power up and see what happens and then work from there adding one component at a time.

Ive tried this :/ And Ive also read that yes you need a cpu atleast in it to start but some motherboards can start without both cpu/ram and gpu so.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

Ive tried this :/ And Ive also read that yes you need a cpu atleast in it to start but some motherboards can start without both cpu/ram and gpu so.

Sounds as though you already know it all. :thumbup2:

Good Luck.

#8 NautixStudio

NautixStudio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

Well I dont? Since the problem is still there? Im just trying to find a deeper level of help. Maybe I should contact Intel and Asus and even Corsair for help. They made the bleep they should know how it works.

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

What I would do is take the new motherboard and install processor apply paste and install air cooled heat sink fan cooler and make certain it is attached securely and evenly.

Install one graphics card and graphics card power connector(s) and install one stick of ram and make sure all motherboard power supply connections are connected and connect 1 monitor and connect wired keyboard and wired mouse.

Power up the system and see if it will post and allow you to enter the bios and if so set the bios to default settings then exit and power system off.

With system off then install another stick of ram and power up the system and see if it posts and allows you to enter bios and if so than exit bios and power system off.

Repeat this procedure until all sticks of ram are installed and if able to enter bios than I would have to say that ram and processor and one graphics card is working.

Leave everything as it is and connect DVD drive and restart system and see if it posts and allows you to enter bios and if so than exit and power off system.

Leave everything as it is and connect hard drive which has OS installed and restart system and see if it will post and allow you to enter bios and if so set bios settings to default and exit bios and see if system will boot into OS.

If system boots into OS see how long it runs doing normal things.

If system doesn't post than remove the graphics card and try the other graphics card.

If system doesn't post than try the other motherboard and start over.

There is still a chance of a failed power supply or power supply rail which supplies power to the graphics card and motherboard and processor.

There is also the chance of at least one motherboard being bad and hopefully not both motherboards being bad.

Troubleshooting is locating which component has failed by the process of elimination and that is only accomplished by installing and testing each individual system component.

And yes this does become time consuming and very frustrating although worth the painstaking task of doing do imo.

Edited by The-Toolman, 20 June 2018 - 12:23 PM.

#10 NautixStudio

NautixStudio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Yes unfortunately thats what i have been doing. But i have some success as my new motherboard as mentioned does not die when only plugged into psu. So i installed the CPU and so far no shutoff.

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2018 - 11:00 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

If you are serious about finding this problem, do a bench build. Here is a method I have followed on building new computers, but it will work in your situation. Follow this and you will find your problem, but you will have to take the computer apart to do it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 NautixStudio

NautixStudio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

If you are serious about finding this problem, do a bench build. Here is a method I have followed on building new computers, but it will work in your situation. Follow this and you will find your problem, but you will have to take the computer apart to do it.

Il check it out thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users