Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD burning software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rsbmwrider

rsbmwrider

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

Hi, I'm new here.. first post.  I want a high quality CD ripping/burning program to replace Media Player on my Windows 10 system 

I want to be able to rip songs from several CD's, SAVE with/on the program similar to the way that Media Player does, and then burn compilation discs, etc. 

Any recommenations?  I'm willing to pay for the right program, does not have to be free!

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

freebie - imgburn

great free program for burn multiple different format disc's

freebie - audio grabber is a great little program that will ripping audio disc's in any bitrate.  if you rip the .bin or wav that's raw audio with no compression.

if you do mp3's then you'll need to download the lame codec for it.

Edited by mightywiz, 19 June 2018 - 05:54 PM.

#3 rsbmwrider

rsbmwrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info...can either of the programs save ripped music to be burned later or create a playlist?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info...can either of the programs save ripped music to be burned later or create a playlist?

If the music is ripped then it is stored on your computer as some sort of audio files, track by track.  Ripping isn't creating ISO images of the CDs.

Every burn program I know of can create a "mix tape" equivalent on CD.  But you have to have a player that will recognize, say, a collection of MP3 files as tracks, and most modern ones do so with ease.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but WMP will do what you want quickly and fast.  Why don't you want to use it? I use my Windows 7 WMP to copy CD tracks all the time. Side thought: did Windows 10 remove that ability? I have W10 but don't have the time right now to fire it up.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but WMP will do what you want quickly and fast.  Why don't you want to use it? I use my Windows 7 WMP to copy CD tracks all the time. Side thought: did Windows 10 remove that ability? I have W10 but don't have the time right now to fire it up.

Windows Media Player ships with Windows 10 (though they want you to use Groove Music if Microsoft has their way) and it works just as it always has.  I've been using it for decades now to rip CDs to 320Kbps MP3 files in my Music library.

I very seldom burn optical media anymore, period.  The advent of microSD cards that allow me to carry around far more music on my phone, and have it ready to play in the car (or elsewhere), with the absolute minimum of muss and fuss is the reason why.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 rsbmwrider

rsbmwrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

I'm low tech... I prefer CD's to the stick.  I don't have a smart phone and use my Audiophile components and in my car to listen. I just have never had much luck with media player.. bad copies, skipping, missing music, etc.  Just looking for something better...

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

I'm low tech... I prefer CD's to the stick.  I don't have a smart phone and use my Audiophile components and in my car to listen. I just have never had much luck with media player.. bad copies, skipping, missing music, etc.  Just looking for something better...

The problems you describe are far more likely to originate with your CD/DVD drive than any software.  If you know the lens to be clean then I would consider looking for a replacement, whether internal or external.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, I tend to agree with Britechguy....sounds like a glitchy DVD drive.

I'm not trying to insult you, I am sure you know how, but here is what I do with WMP and haven't missed yet (this is my canned instruction):

To copy, use Windows Media Player to rip off of the ORIGINAL SOURCE, not a copied and pasted list.
>Open WMP screen
>Upper Right corner, click "Burn"
>Drag & drop the files you list in the left part of the window into the "burn list" on the right side of the window. Then click Start Burn.

WMP will automatically convert to .cda format; it will auto-convert from other file formats when doing the burn process.
The converted/copied files will be auto-saved to the WPM Library as follows:
> open Explore, and at the very top of the menu:
   Libraries\Music\My Music\
Look through all the folders there, probably will be something like "Unknown Album" or some such. Click on it, the ripped files will be in there.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

. . . or a CD with a glitch.  I recently tried to duplicate a CD and the same track failed on five (5) different machines at the same stage of processing.  Then I tried to do a rip and the same issue occurred with the same track on two of the machines (I didn't try on the other three).  That tells me that there is something wonky about that CD, and it had not a single scratch on it.

Another thing that people need to check is whether or not they even need to care about a conversion to CDA format.  A huge number of CD players, whether for in home use or automotive ones, are perfectly capable of reading and playing MP3 files (most common) and a couple of other formats.  If the format you're using to rip your music is one your player can play a collection of those files, burned to a CD, will play just fine.

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

yeah I also use WMP to burn disc quick.  and it all sounds good.  maybe your cd player needs cleaned.

also could be the quality of your cd-r's your burning to. generic off brand name disc's are terrible.  i've never had issues memorex media or verbatim.

i bought a 100 pack of staples disc once "key word is once" I had more bad burns, or discs that just didn't play right.

#12 rsbmwrider

rsbmwrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Thanks guys.. all good points! I uninstalled and re-installed media player on my Windows 10 system. I was also getting the burn to 99% and then stopping.  I did order some high quality CMC pro discs. I'll give them a try!  Again, thanks to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users