Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't print in color after cartridge replacement: coincidence or not?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewDobbs

AndrewDobbs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance!

My printer, an HP OfficeJet 6962 all-in-one, has been working fine since I bought it about two years ago. A couple days ago all three color cartridges needed simultaneous replacement due to regular use (they didn't all suddenly fail simultaneously, they each gradually declined in approximate unison). I had purchased an official HP cartridge combo pack (three color and one black) a while back and installed the three color cartridges successfully, though the magenta cartridge bled a tiny bit of ink after I twisted the orange handle thing off it.

The problem is that after installation I can't print in color, though black and white printing still works just fine. When I try to print color I only get some black shading where the darker shades would be (I presume the black shading would have been used to make color darker). Color printing worked fine just the day before. I can confirm it's not a software issue as the same problem exists for color photocopying. Since the problem started, sometimes when I try to print I get the error message that "one or more cartridges are missing or damaged", although the message appears only rarely, and doesn't prevent me from carrying out the print job. When I check the ink levels, all color cartridges are indicated to be full.

Is there something wrong with the printer? Can one faulty color cartridge prevent the other two color cartridges from working? Or is it possible that all three color cartridges from the combo pack are defective?

I wanted to experiment by removing one color cartridge and printing with just the other two installed, to see if taking the bad one out would let the other two function (and to allow me to identify the bad one), but I get the same error message that "one or more cartridges are missing or damaged" and this time the printer wouldn't allow printing to proceed with a cartridge physically missing. The old cartridges have since been discarded so I can't swap them back in, either. I tried all normal troubleshooting steps: restarting the printer, unplugging the printer, cleaning the nozzle heads, carefully cleaning each cartridge. I use Ubuntu 16.04. and my printer drivers are up to date, but again it's not a software issue since color photocopying has the same problem.

I'd like to know if I should attempt to purchase additional (expensive) cartridges and see if they work, or if the printer itself may be at fault. I just called HP support and they said that one defective cartridge would not prevent other cartridges from functioning, which is also what I was told when I went back to the store I purchased the cartridges from initially. HP said the problem is probably that the nozzle heads are no longer detecting the cartridges and that since the nozzle heads in this printer model can't be removed then the solution is to purchase a new printer if I wish to print in color... they proceeded to offer me a special printer deal, which makes me skeptical they may have just said that to make a sale. When I asked if there was a chance that buying new cartridges could fix it, they said there was a small chance.

I still have the receipt for the HP combo pack, but it seems so unlikely that the entire pack would be defective. I still haven't tried the black cartridge as the currently installed one was recently changed.

Thanks for taking the time to advise me on this pesky matter! :)

Edited by AndrewDobbs, 19 June 2018 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

i would try priming the cleaning & heads and see if it will start printing.

how long were the old cartridges out of the machine before you replace them with new ones?  if they were out for any amount of time.  longer then a couple minutes then you probably clogged the heads letting the ink dry up in them.

Edited by mightywiz, 19 June 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#3 AndrewDobbs

AndrewDobbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

i would try priming the cleaning & heads and see if it will start printing.

how long were the old cartridges out of the machine before you replace them with new ones?  if they were out for any amount of time.  longer then a couple minutes then you probably clogged the heads letting the ink dry up in them.

Rats, I didn't write that part well, sorry.. I've edited it to be clearer: the old cartridges were discarded a couple days ago, but at the same time the new ones were put in, so the printer wasn't left cartridge-less.

I'll look into the priming thing. The print heads aren't removable so I'll need to be careful.

Edited by AndrewDobbs, 19 June 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

Virtually all printers will self-prime newly installed cartridges these days.

How old were the replacements (even if sealed inside mylar packets)?   These things do have a shelf life, and it is possible that you (or the store) stored the one you have too long and it's dried out.

I'd be far more inclined to believe the above if the printer recognizes the cartridge and seems to believe it's full, but you're getting not a single trace of color.

The only other thing I'd suggest is unseating the cartridge, then reseating it and trying again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 AndrewDobbs

AndrewDobbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

Virtually all printers will self-prime newly installed cartridges these days.

How old were the replacements (even if sealed inside mylar packets)?   These things do have a shelf life, and it is possible that you (or the store) stored the one you have too long and it's dried out.

I'd be far more inclined to believe the above if the printer recognizes the cartridge and seems to believe it's full, but you're getting not a single trace of color.

The only other thing I'd suggest is unseating the cartridge, then reseating it and trying again.

Alas I've already tried unseating and reseating them, if by that you mean taking them out and putting them back in. Many, many times, hehe. As for the expiration date on the box, it reads August 2019.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

your printer properties should have a maintenance tab, there you can select cleaning if it doesn't clean it will give you the option to try to prime the cartridges.

#7 AndrewDobbs

AndrewDobbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

your printer properties should have a maintenance tab, there you can select cleaning if it doesn't clean it will give you the option to try to prime the cartridges.

Yes I have definitely cleaned the heads many times, thank you.

I also took a damp rag and cleaned the nozzle heads, but still no luck.

Perhaps I'll just use the printer in greyscale and be content to forgo color printing, rather than trying to purchase three additional color cartridges and risk them not working any better than the current ones.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

call hp they will warranty the cartridges and send you new ones in the mail.

also if you unplug the printer (power off) while your in change cartridge mode, you can slide the carriage over and look at the rubber boots, that are used to protect the heads when parked.. if they are dirty and have a lot of crusty ink built up they will stop the printer from cleaning and priming the cartridges.

to clean them use alcohol and q-tips and just keep wiping them off tell they come clean.   priming doesn't work unless there is a tight suction on the bottom of the print heads and since all three new cartridges are not priming this most likely the problem.   I use to do HP warranty service for a local shop and was certified for repair of inkjets, laser printers, and laptops.

Edited by mightywiz, 21 June 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#9 AndrewDobbs

AndrewDobbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

Well I'll be darned, everything works fine now. I didn't do anything to fix it, it just started working correctly on its own. What a mystery. Big thanks to everyone who posted to help.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:12 PM

Usually after repeated removal and installation, those pins on the cartridge ( the little buttons) get dirty, cover with fingerprints.  Cleaning the mating contacts in the cartridge tray and the ones on the cartridge can be a quick fix.  I'd inspect the cartridge tray, it gets ink over flow when the primer cup gets full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users