Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to record using VLC Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

I looked up this subject on Google and the answer seemed simple enough, but it didn't work.

I have an older web camera with a 4 1/2 foot cord that plugs into a USB port, and I wanted to put it in a window as a security camera because I have a neighbor who has been stealing things out of my backyard but I'm never able to catch them.  I thought maybe I could use the webcam and my laptop as a makeshift security camera to do the job.

What I was shown to do is to open VLC player, click Media, then open capture device.  In the next window, select Direct Show as capture mode.  As for recording method, I was told that I'd have the option of Live Feed or Direct Save.  Mine only showed Live Feed, so I chose that.  Then I am to click "Play", supposedly to start recording.  At that point, my laptop's screen shows me what my webcam is pointed at, and there is a timer at the beginning of the progress bar that counts upward.  When I click Record, nothing new happens.  Then when I click Stop, the screen goes blank except for VLC Player's orange traffic cone icon in the middle.  I'm not given the option to save what I had supposedly recorded.  Also, I've looked around in all my locations and don't see a recording having been saved anywhere.

Can someone please help me with this?  I just want to be able to record while I'm gone and then see if anything's missing from my yard.  If there's not, then no need to save the recording.  If there is, then I can go back and review the recording to see what happened, and then use the recording to show the police.  I just need to be able to actually record what the webcam sees.

Edited by Toshiba2015, 19 June 2018 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

I believe that Audacity would be a better alternative for recording, editing, etc.

Louis

#3 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

I believe that Audacity would be a better alternative for recording, editing, etc.

Louis

Audacity appears to be an audio recorder.  I need to record video, which is why I'm using a web camera.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, I only use VLC for audio...I have various video-record/edit programs (Pinnacle, Corel Video Studio) for my video recording.

Louis

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:25 AM

To know where VLC is saving recordings, go to Tools\Preferences\Input / Codecs and select a location for Files - Record directory or filename. Mine is pointed at C:\Users\My Account Name\Videos

The other confusing thing is the Record function is indicated by the button color, not the red dot. On mine with the default appearance, the button goes a pale blue when it is recording. Press again and the button reverts to the same color as the panel background and the stream is then not being recorded.

When you press stop and see the orange cone, you should be able to go to Media\Open File and in the folder you set in Preferences, load and view the recording/s.

Edit: just noticed this topic was posted some weeks ago. Hope it still might help.

Edited by Platypus, 07 July 2018 - 04:27 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users