Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would a dual-drive external solve my problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

So I have an external hard drive I use for backup, of both the Mac and Windows sides of my computer. It's split into an HFS+ and a NTFS partition. However, after I run backup on the Windows side, the HFS+ side becomes unreadable and needs reformatted. 

I've read that this is because Windows writes some extra stuff to other partitions with the most space, and it reads HFS+ as empty, so therefore writes to it. So if it were a separate HDD but in the same enclosure/likely through the same cable, would this still happen you think? Or should I just have two completely separate external drives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

if it were a separate HDD but in the same enclosure/likely through the same cable, would this still happen

You will need two separate drives. I am not sure what you mean, "through the same cable". You cannot have two separate drives simultaneously running off the same data cable. You would have to alternate swapping a single cable between two drives (disconnecting from the alternate drive). If that is what you mean, yes, that would be fine. It sounds like the easiest thing to do is use a docking station and swap drives as you do your backups. Or possibly this one with dual bays, then all you would do is switch between the bays, no need to swap out drives.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users