Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 ruined my fan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 James225913

James225913

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:12 AM

Ever since an update a few weeks back, now my computer is frequently overheating, often when I've done nothing CPU intensive. Watching videos is often impossible, without it sounding like my laptop will explode. Cleaned the fan last week, no improvement.

Anyone know why this might be? Something the idiots over at Microsoft have added to my computer? Thanks :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

windows updates would not affect your fan in any way.....its a coincidence

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:43 AM

When you say nothing is CPU intensive, have you looked at Resource Monitor to determine what your CPU and Disk Usage are?

There have been multiple reports of Windows 10 increasing CPU and disk usage which could lead to problems like overheating. See the below video for possible solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLT1ucTIhU

#4 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

Thanks, JohnC.

100% Windows is to blame, Mikey. Every Windows 10 update I have causes a new issue with my computer, and then I have to wait, at the beginning it was as long as weeks, for it to resolve. First my computer had to be connected to the internet a certain way. There would be issues with freezing on the desktop. Icons disappearing. Internet not being able to connect at all. Now I know when there is a Windows update, as my computer will overheat for nothing. And sure enough, I'll shut down my computer and: ''Windows is updating.'' I find it astonishing that Microsoft is allowed to get away with this.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,037 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

I would also suggest that if you're having repeated and ongoing issues with Windows 10, particularly if it was originally an upgrade installation from Win7, 8, or 8.1, that you consider backing up your user data, collecting any programs you need to reinstall, and consider Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

It is often the case that "well used" systems had (and continue to have) underlying issues with Windows itself that just keep being swept along until, eventually, they start to exhibit themselves as various updates start trying to employ "dusty corners" of the underlying OS code that had been corrupted in some way.

I've seen a couple of systems go from constantly problematic, as yours sounds like it is, to perfectly functioning (and staying that way as future updates have applied) by starting over from scratch as far as Windows 10 is concerned.

As to overheating, you also need to ask yourself why your system would do that, period.  There's usually something wrong if that occurs at all, regardless of load.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, Bri.

I'll be fine if Windows 10 just stops making my computer overheat. My laptop is over seven years old, maybe that's it? It's not the fan, at least from a dust point of view. But the overheating thing wasn't a real issue until Microsoft went about improving my computer experience.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

If this is a 7 year old computer then I would consider starting a budget for a new one. 

I am assuming this computer came pre-installed with Windows 7. If a reinstall of Windows 10 does not solve the problem and the computer is only used for browsing, email, and online purchases with no mission critical programs consider a linux distro that uses less resources or if the computer was pre-installed with Windows 7 and you have a legible key on the COA sticker you could reinstall Windows 7 which would give you about 1 1/2 more years of updates. By that time you would most likely need a new computer anyway.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,037 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

It is very unlikely that Windows 10, per se, is at the root of the problem.   As I said earlier, but in more technical detail, building a house on quicksand, which is what upgrading to Windows 10 over an earlier installation of Windows that is in questionable condition, is quite likely to result in issues as time goes by.

At 7 years old even most low-end machines can outstrip what you have in terms of performance if you go with a newer CPU/APU.

I can't say for certain whether or not you're there yet, but a lot of people expend a great deal of effort, and money when they hire a pro, to extend the death of a machine rather than doing the smart thing and replacing it.  I have told many a client that it is not cost effective for me to be repairing (or attempting to patch up) their old machines, but if they insist after I've given them my professional opinion then I'll do it.  It still doesn't make any sense, but they're then going in with their eyes as wide open as I can make them.

I have yet to see a machine that ran OK with Windows 7 have any issue with Windows 10 as it currently stands if a clean install is done.  I have, in fact, seen Windows 10 breathe some "new life" into old hardware, but even then that will not hold into the perpetual future.  Hardware does have a service life, though most of the time it seems to me it's the demands of new software, really, that ends up being the death of older hardware.  Nothing is so constant as change, and in the world of computing change is always "on steroids."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

Thanks, both. Very helpful posts.

I don't think I should have to reinstall Windows 10. If there were going to be issues, Microsoft should have done the ethical thing and stated so. And I would never have upgraded to this crap OS.

I will buy a much cheaper laptop next, as the one I got was a fairly expensive Sony, and in hindsight, I didn't need something so lavish. But Windows 7 ran fine, no problems at all, and 100%, without any doubt, Windows 10 is the root of the problem. Again, I find it stunning that Microsoft can cause so many problems and get away scot free.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,037 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

James,

You can insist, all you like, that Windows 10 is the root of all evil and all your problems.   My professional experience and opinion strongly indicate that has about as much chance of being the case as getting hit by a meteorite when I step out my door to grab my mail.

There were tons of "seemed to be running OK" Windows 7 installs that, after years of use, were where "seemed" was the key word.  Upgrading on top of those invariably spelled trouble, whether immediate or eventual.

Until or unless you are willing to do a completely clean install of Windows 10, then see if your machine is still as cranky as it has been, you are engaging in nothing more than wild speculation.

#11 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

I'm not speculating, Bri, just giving my opinion. Windows 10 sucks ass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users