Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nasdaq ask me to post here due to Windows 10 blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

I do not know how to post topic that Nasdaq and I was working on but I will try so that you can understand how this all started. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/676486/infected-with-win32nup502atempraw/?p=4488867

After working with him and performing several operations I now have the blue screen of death and nothing works such as safe mode, command prompts, and restoring. I am in school and would like to recover my desk top because I have all my material stored on the computer.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:25 AM

Only thing I can think of at the moment is to try Hiren's Disk.

They have just brought out a new one especially for Windows 10

https://www.hirensbootcd.org

It may allow you to get back some of your files.

#3 jmatt

jmatt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:24 AM

"I have all my material stored on the computer"

Safest thing to do now, is remove the hard drive & connect it to a good computer, then copy your files onto the hard drive, in the good computer.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

I agree with jmatt, particularly if you know that the content is still there and was unaffected (or you have every reason to believe it is unaffected) by what came before.

Acquire a SATA (probably) to USB cable.  Since you're talking about a desktop you will probably not even need to remove the HDD and can use the disabled computer's power supply to power the HDD.  Just connect the cable to the HDD in place of its usual connection to the disabled computer.  Once the USB end is plugged in to whatever computer you're using to recover the data with it should be recognized as an external HDD just like a regular external HDD would.

I'd then put the connections back together as per usual on the desktop machine and try Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10 on it.

Then, after you have the machine up and running again and have the software you need reinstalled and your data copied back, get yourself an external HDD and take regular full system image backups as well as separate data backups either using the utility of your choosing or File History.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:19 PM

So, I am not that tech savvy when it comes to these terms you are using. What is a SATA?  What is a HDD? Sorry but I am not getting what you are saying.

I do have a clean image stored on a USB drive but that will delete my school folders if I do that right? Not sure? 

What is the benefit of me downloading this https://www.hirensbootcd.org

Edited by justmeandmycomputer, 20 June 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

Follow opera's advice in post #2. Download the iso of Hirens and burn to a DVD by right clicking and select Burn Disk Image on any Windows 7 or later computer. Boot Hirens. Attach a USB flash drive or USB external drive and copy your folders from your computer. Do not move them.

If you are not tech savvy then I don't recommend you attempt to pull the hard drive especially if this is a modern laptop. 

You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI/BIOS settings in order to boot Hirens. Was this an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10? What is the make and model of the computer.

If you know somebody with computer experience you can have them remove the drive and connect it using a USB adapter similar to the one below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-IDE-to-USB-2-0-Adapter-Converter-Cable-for-Hard-Drive-Disk-2-5-3-5-/182974829882

If this is a laptop then you can use one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-TO-2-5-SATA-Cable-Serial-ATA-Adapter-For-HDD-SSD-Laptop-Hard-Drive/201979166082?epid=12005131200&hash=item2f06e57d82:g:G50AAOSwRE5aVguP

It has 2 USB connections in case your USB ports do not provide enough power.

SATA is a type of connection for the HDD, your hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#7 jmatt

jmatt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

"If this is a laptop then you can use one of these"

Extract from the link in the OP's first post.

"Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.16299  64-bit
Manufacturer: HP - Model: 22-a113w"

#8 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

I am not sure what if I upgraded Windows 10 or not? This is a HP computer which I hate and will not ever buy another again. I am working from my daughter's Mac right now. 

HP: Model No 22-a113w is correct

So, I need to burn the disk on my daughter's computer and then insert the cd into my HP correct? I would have to see if I have any cds around if not I would have to go and buy cd's to burn. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

A CD will not work. You would need to use a DVD or a program called Rufus with the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#10 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

Hello,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply back. My teacher was able to re-send me the most important papers and I saved it to a drive until I get my computer restored.

My question is can I now use the disk that I have which is a back up image of the computer when I first got it, Windows allows you to back up the new system image when you first purchase it and I did and kept it on a disk. If this is possible do I just stick the disk in and let it run or will the blue screen of death still appear. I am still getting the blue screen of death when I bring it up so will this rectify the problem if I re-install?

Lost but need my unfaithful HP computer  :smash:

#11 jmatt

jmatt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:22 PM

"do I just stick the disk in and let it run or will the blue screen of death still appear. I am still getting the blue screen of death when I bring it up so will this rectify the problem if I re-install?"

Who knows. :smash:

Temporarily disable Avast, Windows Defender ( which is what I use ) will kick in.

Test to see if you are still getting a blue screen.

How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114351/how-to-temporarily-disable-your-anti-virus-firewall-and-anti-malware-programs/
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/how-to-disable-your-security-applications-490111.html

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

If this is a DVD that was created when you first bought the computer and it's not a hardware problem then booting the disk will not give you a Blue Screen. But, from my experience doing an initial backup of the OS requires more than one DVD. This will wipe all your data on the drive. If you need any additional data other than what the teacher gave you use the iso opera linked to and burn it to a DVD on another computer.

#13 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

I was able to use my scan disk to put windows back onmy system. I know need help with how to prevent this from happening again but not really sure if it was a trojan or virus? I need some good programs for my computer such as firewall, spyware, and etc.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,995 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

The issue is seldom with the protective defenses (provided you're using them) on a computer but with the end user.  Virtually all infections can be traced back to the end user having done something to invite them in.

Our own Quietman7  has written extensively on the subject of security.  The following are three "must reads:"

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#15 justmeandmycomputer

justmeandmycomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

Ok, here we go again. I thought this was done and over. I went to log on tonight and got a black screen for about 3 minutes or mr more. I shut the computer down and tried it once more and it did the same thing. I finally got it to come up on the third try.

What is wrong now? I have no protection or anything on this computer because I just restored and I just want to be careful about the programs I download.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users