Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky and it's removal from the US - Valid scare?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Silver_fang

Silver_fang

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

Topic, as Kaspersky basically been banned in the US i must ask has there been any proofs of the company doing backdooring? 

Should people actually remove it due to the fact that it's been excluded from US? 

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

Kaspersky Lab v. DHS: The Government's Response and Kaspersky's Reply

Some folks believe it's all politically motivated.

The antivirus vendor appears to have been caught in the middle of heightening tensions between Russia and the US and is most likely being unfairly punished for today's rising political tensions.

Twitter Bans Kaspersky From Advertising on the Platform Citing DHS Ban

Kaspersky Russian Spying Rumors: Should You Use This Antivirus?

Further, Kaspersky is a founding partner in the No More Ransom Project which includes McAfee, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, avast, Trend Micro, Emsisoft, security experts (EU3, CERT.PL. Check Point, ElevenPaths), law enforcement agencies and various public and private entities from around the world with the goal to help victims of ransomware retrieve their encrypted data without having to pay the criminals. Thousands of U.S. citizens and U.S. based companies have benefited from this project.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Kaspersky Lab v. U.S. DHS: Some believe it's all politically motivated.

The antivirus vendor appears to have been caught in the middle of heightening tensions between Russia and the US and is most likely being unfairly punished for today's rising political tensions.

Twitter Bans Kaspersky From Advertising on the Platform Citing DHS Ban

Kaspersky Russian Spying Rumors: Should You Use This Antivirus?
Kaspersky Lab v. DHS: The Government's Response and Kaspersky's Reply

Further, Kaspersky is a founding partner in the No More Ransom Project which includes McAfee, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, avast, Trend Micro, Emsisoft, security experts
(EU3, CERT.PL. Check Point, ElevenPaths), law enforcement agencies and various public and private entities from around the world with the goal to help victims of ransomware retrieve their encrypted data without having to pay the criminals. Thousands of U.S. citizens and U.S. based companies have benefited from this project.

So which is it? 

Sounds weird that they would ban it just because it's russian company.

If there was any evidence that supported it wouldn't it had broken loose already?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

"For ordinary consumers, it's probably as safe using Kaspersky as any other antivirus software," Graham told us. "Whichever product you use, however, you should configure it to NOT send data back to the vendor."

From: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/is-kaspersky-safe,news-25983.html

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 June 2018 - 10:03 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

So which is it? 

If there was any evidence that supported it wouldn't it had broken loose already?

I'm one of those who believe this vendetta is political motivated. In fact, politics seems to be intertwined into almost everything these days. If I did not use Emsisoft, I certainly would consider Kaspersky and I still recommend it as one of three (ESET, Emsisoft, Kaspersky) when folks as me what to use.

#6 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

So which is it? 

I'm one of those who believe this vendetta is political motivated. In fact, politics seems to be intertwined into almost everything these days. If I did not use Emsisoft, I certainly would consider Kaspersky and I still recommend it as one of three (ESET, Emsisoft, Kaspersky) when folks as me what to use.

I as well considered ESET and kaspersky the top, kasapersky i used lately however at the moment im only using windows defender. 

Never heard of EMSISOFT.

If it were political why wouldn't they block other big russian companies?

#7 Windows10User

Windows10User

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

So which is it? 

I as well considered ESET and kaspersky the top, kasapersky i used lately however at the moment im only using windows defender. 

Never heard of EMSISOFT.

If it were political why wouldn't they block other big russian companies?

I personally think it's because of this:

https://securelist.com/investigation-report-for-the-september-2014-equation-malware-detection-incident-in-the-us/83210/

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/internal-investigation-preliminary-results/19894/

I would recommend you read both blog posts for context on the issue, but I'll try to summarise it here.

Back in 2014, a NSA contractor installed a pirated copy of Microsoft Office on a Kaspersky protected device and very quickly the AV started to send files for analysis. The files that it sent were classified NSA documents. Obviously the US government would be annoyed about this and I suspect that the US government is acting on this breach of classified NSA documents by attacking and discrediting Kaspersky.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT CONDONE THE USE OF PIRATED SOFTWARE. What the NSA contractor did was a terrible idea as pirated software pose a risk to your system as they often contain malware. Also pirating costs the software industry billions every year.

chartoftheday_5164_use_of_unlicensed_sof

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

Never heard of EMSISOFT.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a trustworthy and effective antivirus solution which leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft uses multiple layers of technologies (surf protection, dual-engine file guard, advanced behavior blocking analysis) to protect computers from malware and ransomware (crypto malware). Emsisoft's Behavior Blocker is effective against unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks.

See my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program for more specific details as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

If you are using Windows 10, then there is always the option to just use Windows Defender (Windows Antivirus). I explain why in this topic.
Also see my comments about Windows Defender (Windows Antivirus) in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#9 ken1943

ken1943

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

It may be political, however It was used in many government systems and that was the point. Usage on home systems is not the same thing. China wants to know everything about software that is used in the country which I think is more of a risk. Of course Apple gave everything away.

#10 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

Personally, i went KIS in 2015 and never looked back. During the past years i've tried some more AV on my laptop, whilst keeping Kaspersky on my desktop, but none (Bitdefender - worst in my personal experience - Avira, McAfee, Avast...) so far was as satisfying. I've got to admit that i haven't tried either Emsisoft or ESET.

It's very likely that the whole thing is politically AND economically motivated. But even if it wasn't - at least on personal use devices - i would probably rather pick a good AV over a poor (for a reason or another) AV even if the good one was collecting my infos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users